Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dark/night mode theme?

I might be the only one with such a wish, but I would love if a dark mode was available for the site. More and more websites/programs/apps have this available now and I much prefer it and find it a lot easier on the eyes.

User configurable of course.

Apologies in advance if one already exists and I am oblivious.

United Kingdom

I have asked David and will advise. It isn’t currently a feature.

It is certainly interesting; the current Adobe software is “dark” and it is quite nice.

You would have to be logged in all the time to use it, of course, because that is the only “currently acceptable” way to get a user-specific config.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You would have to be logged in all the time to use it, of course, because that is the only “currently acceptable” way to get a user-specific config.

We have an internal site I can’t link here which needs a day/night mode, from the UI point of view it simply has a clickspot labled appropriately which switches the templates.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This is a great idea and I have put it on the list for the next batch of mods.

Administrator

It’s also probably possible (and probably better) to have it depend on the user’s system settings, rather than a preference based on a login. For example on my computers and phone, everything goes dark from sunset to sunrise, and it’s great for the eyes. Then I check Euroga and get blinded, of course.

EGTF, LFTF

How would the EuroGA server determine the user’s system settings?

on my computers and phone, everything goes dark from sunset to sunrise

How is that implemented, what on, what software, apps, OS, etc?

Administrator

This isn’t my area of expertise, but now that a lot of operating systems (Win 10 and iOS that I personally use) allow a user to select a dark theme at system level, you can use the CSS prefers-color-scheme feature to set the theme based on system preferences.

Last Edited by Pirho at 09 Mar 16:05
United Kingdom

Check this for examples.

AFAIK this works on all the Apple OSs, as well as Windows. No idea about Android.

EGTF, LFTF

EuroGA already is dark on my Android, if I select Dark Mode. So I suspect that is the browser doing it’s job.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I can’t see any “dark mode” on my PC, Chrome or Firefox, win7-64. Nor on android, Samsung S10e.

Maybe on win10 one gets other options.

It can be achieved with a different style sheet set, picked according to “something”. Most obviously that “something” would be in the user’s EuroGA profile.

Administrator
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message