Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When the Mobile fails.... dependence is quite shocking...

This happens with both IOS and Android. An older IOS device cannot be upgraded to a later OS version. 

That is still short of killing them with an upgrade. Install it and the device burns the mainboard and is dead. happened to me and many people with the Note 4.

the batteries, which are mostly not economically serviceable, also lose capacity. When I look at why I upgraded various devices, it was mostly due to (a) mechanical damage and (b) the battery lasting barely a day.

I have yet to come across one Samsung device whose battery brand new lasts more than one work day. And yea, they are expensive to change at those devices, which are sealed, but there are services which will do it for about 50 € including batterey. Actually, I will take my old Note 8 to Bulgaria and try exactly that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Install it and the device burns the mainboard and is dead

Really?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m still using my iPhone 6 (early model) in daily use. I replaced the battery once as expected (replaced it myself), it has a cracked screen but it still runs just fine.

I have a Samsung XCover 4 which I use for Skydemon and for putting foreign SIM cards in and using as a WiFi hotspot (we don’t get free roaming, as the Isle of Man isn’t part of the EU and our two telcos abuse this greatly with absurd roaming costs).

My Dad still uses my old iPhone 4 which I think might have already passed its 10th birthday. I think it’s on its 3rd battery.

Sure, an iPhone is expensive, but if you can get 10 years out of it, it’s cheaper than some cheap phones that snuff it after 18 months.

Last Edited by alioth at 20 Sep 16:18
Andreas IOM

My company provides iPhones and I find they last 2 years as my only phone, assuming what I’ve found to be the usual charging plug failure mode. If it’s the screen and touch functionality you can get up to 3 or 4 years of full time use, at least that was my experience with my wife’s ex-iPhone 6, which my company does not buy. The replacement is typically a model that is recently discontinued or nearly so, for about $300 on line with reasonable memory.

I have two categories of material in my life, disposable junk and forever stuff. iPhones and new cars are the former, bought as cheap as possible, thrown away and forgotten after a few years. Houses and planes are within the latter category, the place where I’d rather spend my money.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Sep 16:31

Really?

Its word of the mouth of some of the people whom tried to revive my Note 4. Each of them has seen lots of cases like mine, where the last deadly update stopped in the middle and then there was no way of reviving the phone other than to change the mainboard. It was never proven as much as I understand, but that is what most people think. The 7 series apparently suffered a similar effect.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I use Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Watch). I’m not trying to offer a defence of Apple, rather just offer my single data point experiences and thinking.

The Apple iOS ‘ecosystem’ is very intuitive to use. My first iPhone was a 3GS and I clicked with it immediately. On the numerous times I’ve tried to use an Android device I just can’t find my way around easily and give up very quickly and ask someone else to do it for me. All Apple devices work with each other flawlessly.

Apple devices don’t break if you make even a vague effort to look after them. Not one of mine, or my wife’s, devices has ever broken. I’ve had three phones in ten-plus years (3GS, 5S and XS). The only reason I upgraded when I did was because the capability was too far behind the new ‘normal’. Often, just a case of screen resolution. I then sold the old phone for a not unreasonable amount despite its age.

Regarding updates. People use this to knock Apple saying that Apple kill old phones deliberately through updates not being compatible etc. Sorry, but I don’t buy this. As new technology emerges and chip architecture improves software must be updated to make use of these new capabilities. At some point the old hardware simply cannot keep up and has to be dropped. Apple do not allow people to upgrade to a new iOS if it will compromise their device. If the device is not compatible it will refuse to update and remain running a stable iOS.

Apple sell a premium product at a premium price and are not embarrassed about doing so. I appreciate this honesty (if that’s the right word). I trust them as far as I can that their intentions are good and revolve simply around me buying their products. Android, Huawei etc. claim to offer me the same, or better, experience for much less. I don’t trust their intentions and believe, perhaps incorrectly, that they make up the difference by using my data, reading my emails, bombarding me with advertising and selling less robust products that will need to be upgraded more often.

More on topic though… Mooney Driver does raise a very important issue. Regardless of what devices we use and why, I suspect most of us, myself included, would suffer a similar experience if our phone, tablet, laptop or whatever was broken, stolen, lost or whatever. We train and practice emergency procedures in our aircraft on a regular basis yet how often do we practice or plan for phone disaster recovery? It is crazy how dependent our lives are on our phones and their data and apps. It deserves more thought that it gets. Thank you MD for posting this.

S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message