Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Requirements for posts promoted to home page banners

Promoting a thread to the home page greatly increases the response, as one would expect.

It is not possible to promote a thread if its first post

• is very long
  • contains a graphic wider than 600 pixels

So e.g. most trip writeups cannot be promoted. The obvious workaround is to make the first post a brief one.

The 600px figure is worth bearing in mind. I have often edited the first post of a particularly valuable thread (of which we have many on EuroGA) to resize a graphic. In most cases it is not noticeable.

Solutions have been looked at but all seem to be very expensive, and mod time consuming to operate.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bumping this thread

When I get out of bed each day, I go to promote new threads to the home page (in most cases) which greatly increases participation. But this is not possible if the 1st post is “huge” or contains a graphic wider than 600 pixels. I often reduce images to 600px. This morning I did 2. It’s OK but it would help me if people structured the 1st post a bit differently, or just reduced the graphic in that post.

On subsequent posts it doesn’t matter; the system downsizes automatically to the 925px forum width.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message