Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weather forecast - current sources in 2022

Hello,
I am quite new at flying in europe.
What weather forecast tools/products do you all use for x-country (x-europe) flying?

Last Edited by aquila at 02 Feb 03:25
LIAP / LIBP, Italy

and SkyDemon since it integrates navigational, performance, and weather tools.
AeroWeather for a quick glance.
Used MeteoEarth for a few years, but find Windy far superior nowadays.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

AeroWeb

France

Aeroweb is legal. Actually I have heard that BEA is checking that PIC did check the weather through its account when studying an GA accident.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 02 Feb 07:56
LFMD, France

Aeroweb is legal

What do you mean by legal? 95% of Europe who operate VFR & IFR legally under NCO never heard of it or used it, including flying in France, I can’t give names but if interested I know one guy I know who operate Travsavia at Orly, who does not use AeroWeb for his weather breifs

This reminds me of UK IRE showing one German IR pilot at Stapleford how to print F214 & F215 forms as it’s illegal requirement to carry printed copies when flying…

AIP GEN 3.5 and Part-NCO are very clear on what counts as legal weather breifing (Part-CAT has extra legal requirements to operate on official TAF), what you get as “value” from AeroWeb is a logged trace of weather data used for flight planning but you can get that on SkyDemon, ForeFlight, AutoRouter breifing packs, all are 100% legal of course…

PS: reading AIP GEN3.5 you will be surprised that there is a requirement to call specific phone number and speak to forecasters if operating on IFPS flight plans (Z, I, Y) from 10 airfields in France (e.g. Courcheval), other than that you do your own breif using you own tools, I don’t think GEN3.5 says legally you need to solely use AeroWeb? it only says BEA will use it to do investigations (AAIB can check SkyDemon account if internet was ON during planning but they also recover people tablets after crash, no password on “flying iPad” will greatly help them carry their work)

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Feb 08:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Since EASA there is no such thing as a “legal” weather briefing service (before that at least some countries had mandatory briefings by their national weather agencies).

As a pilot we are free to choose whatever source of information we use for our briefing – we just have to apply due diligence as in all flight preparation.

In case of a weather related accident, however, the investigators obviously check how the pilot briefed the weather. Some of the weather services (like most of the former mandatory national services) have the advantage, that they log the use by pilots. If, e.g. I use the German national “flugwetter.de” the investigators can exactly track when I was there and which pages I saw.

That doesn’t say anything about using windy.com for preparation is less accurate or less diligent, but in case the pilots needs to take care of the prove that he did it by himself.

Germany

Where would you find cloud base?
I’ve tried both windy.com and SD, checking it for now and comparing it with the METARs and quite often it does not match.
So where would you go?

EGTR

That doesn’t say anything about using windy.com for preparation is less accurate or less diligent, but in case the pilots needs to take care of the prove that he did it by himself.

Indeed, I could fly by simply looking at Windy but it lacks the ability to log & save the data…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

For icing: ADWICE
You need a subscription for the DWD flugwetter.de

Last Edited by Vref at 02 Feb 08:31
EBST
70 Posts
Sign in to add your message