Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Voiceflight - voice entry of flight plans

I thought it would be good to start a fresh thread on this. Having seen this video

I think this is a huge step forward. Looking at the things I waste most of my time on when flying, it is waypoint entry.

And the GTN-type airway name support (also in the GNS480) is going to be of minimal help if the route has been developed with a load of DCTs.

They claim it works with a variety of accents. Certainly, during my many visits to the USA I did encounter some which were almost impossible to understand!

One big question is whether they support European airspace. They must be doing some sort of "sensibility checking" on the waypoint names which implies a waypoint and airway database.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have always wanted voice recognition to work. It never lives up to the hype for things which require precision. On the ground in a quiet environment this might work - forget about engine running and possible squelch issues on mic. On 430/530 units maybe it is of some value. No use on GTN units as they have faster entry and airways. Once you have an error, you will spend more time correcting it than you save.

EGTK Oxford

It will not work in Europe as they have an own waypoint database with US only.

United Kingdom

You use the NATO alphabet for spelling, this should be fool proof from a voice recognition point of view.

They check it to the internal database and work out the airways. I checked their website and found it will work outside US with Jepp data:

"For VFS101 customers operating outside of US airspace, VoiceFlight has reached an agreement with Jeppesen to provide expanded VFS101 Navigational files with a full set of International waypoints and airways."

United Kingdom

So......... the Big Q .......... how much extra $ ?

The funny thing is that they don't need Jepp to get the airway databases, although I can imagine Jepp is a nice easy way to get worldwide coverage.

If this works, it makes a really powerful case for a GNS430W+EX600, or perhaps 2xGNS530W (but then you get a rather poor "MFD").

Administrator

2x430W or 530W is a bad idea for a EASA reg as it is a major mod. I would have gone for a 430W to complement my 530W, but this is too much money for a few pieces of paper. I'm not paying a few grand just for a paper exercise.

United Kingdom

Quoting their web page:

The expanded VFS101 International data files are produced on the 28 day AIRAC cycle and can be purchased directly from VoiceFlight at a price of $25 per cycle.

They also have an iPad app which reads a flight plan to the device via an audio cable. Very crude but probably effective.

iPad VoiceFlight

2x430W or 530W is a bad idea for a EASA reg as it is a major mod

Yes that's true. But that's "only money"... There are certain well known Part 21 firms who sell the EASA STCs for about £1k-2k. You will be skimmed by more than that for the wiring...

It should not be problem on an N-reg though. A GPS alone is a Minor mod unless it drives an autopilot, but if a GNS430/530 box is on the TC (which it is for a TB20GT) then it can go straight in, and there is no additional issue with two of them.

It's a case of how to kill the several obvious birds with one stone. The dark cloud is PRNAV, and LPV is worth getting while doing any major avionics work. Rapid flight plan loading would be very nice.

Otherwise, I am not going to bother ripping out my KLN94+KMD550 which actually does everything needed for European IFR. Reworking the centre stack is just too much work...

The expanded VFS101 International data files are produced on the 28 day AIRAC cycle and can be purchased directly from VoiceFlight at a price of $25 per cycle.

So the voice control costs $25/month if you want it in Europe?

Administrator

I have voice control too, but I don't speak to a box but to my wife in the right seat: "Enter VESIX DIKVA AROSO ...." ;-))

I think this works great, but unfortunately I have normal 430s too ... and if I would buy something new then probably 2 x GTN650 which make the entry much easier anyway

35 Posts
Sign in to add your message