Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Video conferencing software

From here

I don’t like Zoom because it requires one to register an account.

I have been using Jitsi for meetings when I needed. No login, no nothing. It just works.

ESME, ESMS

Zoom is okay. Normally you setup a password, so no stranger can enter the meeting. As a host you do have also the possibilty to let the participants only join the meeting after you have allowed them to enter by an explicit klick of the host. So it is possible to use in a save way.

I would be interested to join the virtual meet up.

EDDS , Germany

Dimme wrote:

I don’t like Zoom because it requires one to register an account.

Only the host, not the participants.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There have been some hacking concerns with Zoom in the past. It is important that the executable for Windows or a Mac are downloaded from zoom.us and not by clicking on some link. Especially for the Mac which suffered from dodgy versions in years past.

There is a lot of stuff on google about this. You can’t use Zoom for secure conferencing, but that should not surprise anybody.

I have emailed those so far interested with the details of the meeting ID etc. I am not 100% sure how it works…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You guys should also consider Webex. Far more secure and no time limit on free meetings.

EGTK Oxford

How exactly far more secure and what is the benefit, for chatting about planes and such?

Zoom is very easy to set up and works very well.

Administrator

Seems a number have been addressed but the link summarises the issues so far.

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

Biggest non-security issue is the 40 mins limit which Webex avoids.

Last Edited by JasonC at 08 Apr 18:42
EGTK Oxford

Nearly all of that list is irrelevant to any user with enough braincells to not use their online banking password for talking about planes.

e.g.

had spotted 352 compromised Zoom accounts that included meeting IDs, email addresses, passwords and host keys. Some of the accounts belonged to schools, and one each to a small business and a large healthcare provider, but most were personal.

Linkedin (on which practically everybody who works for anybody puts up their details) got their entire database stolen

Administrator

Apparently a lot of the security concerns stem from people who record their sessions and leave them on the Zoom server without a password. Schools where prob99 a) it’s not set up properly and b) some clever kid(s) hack the thing are vulnerable. Don’t think that applies to a bunch of old(ish) farts chatting about airplanes. Move along, nothing to steal here, move along…

What is a real concern is the time limit on the free version. As a club we pay for the pro (or whatever it’s called) version and that’s unlimited.

62 Posts
Sign in to add your message