Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Guide Norway

Here.

Still the most pleasant, comprehensible and pragmatic VFR guide out there.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I absolutely agree, it is a great publication. I’ve been flying Norway with reference to the 2014 guide, and it is simply pleasant, engaging reading. I recommend it to any pilot, simply as a refresher, and with some good things to think about!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Good document. Timely, planning trip to Norway.

Anybody any tips of great places to visit (ending up at the North Cape at the end?)

Biggin Hill

Oslo – of course. Try obtaining a PPR for ENKJ (Call Airport Manager tel +47 90562416)
Röros – Old, preserved copper mining town. Airport is ENRO (?)
Lysefjord – East of Stavanger
Bergen – Hanseatic city. ENBR
Aalesund, Kristiansund and/or Molde.
Dagali – ENDI. Convenient starting point for trekking in the mountains.
The Lofoten archipelago – I liked Leknes (airport) a lot.

You could do Oslo – Röros (follow the lakes Mjosa and Femunden to Röros), Leknes, Kristiansund, Bergen, down the coast to Stavanger and then Lysefjorden, from there to Kristiansand? You can fit in North Cape and Dagali somehow.

You should know that the smaller airports have limited opening hours, and will often be closed during the weekends. You may therefore want to apply for a crew card which will allow you to use the airports between 7 am and 11 pm LT all days of the week provided you are flying and a/c with MTOW < 2700 kg and 9 or less seats. Unfortunately it seems like the application form is Norwegian only.

Keep in mind the customs procedures if planning on arriving to/from an a/d which is not port of entry. You will need to submit a copy of your flightplan to customs 4 hrs prior to border crossing.

LFPT, LFPN

Thank you! Mostly interested in landscape an north, so might give Oslo a miss, Roros looks interesting…

About that crew card – the site is now in English, but it is for company ID – is this the right one for a private visit?
C.

You will need to submit a copy of your flightplan to customs 4 hrs prior to border crossing.

Given the distances involved, probably not an issue when coming in from Scotland… need to brush up on point-of-equal-time and single-engine cruise characteristics for the crossing.

Biggin Hill

I have a long term plan to fly to Trondheim ENVA, which the TB20 can do nonstop, but just watching the weather makes it obvious that the chances will be few and far between.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Gardermoen OSLO – the main airport in Norway is GA friendly and not costly. I think I paid app 250 NOK (less than 25€) when I was there a few years back.
The cost of a Taxi to go to the other side of the airport – from GA to the main terminal for a rental car – was more than the landing fee.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Flying in Norway seems surprisingly cheap when compared to the ground transport (taxi’s anyway!). Avinor do a landing card valid for a week which is only about 650 NOK (I think more if you want to include unlimited parking though), but bear in mind that most of the airports there are Avinor so you can stop at numerous little out of the way places if you just feel like it.

I’ve been to Northern Norway many times (flying Widerø though, not myself). Would be a great flight to do yourself though, and one day I will do it. Peter, you should have gone to Trondheim today seeing as it is about 29C and sunny there at the moment

Places to stop in the North – Tromsø, Hammerfest (most northerly “city” in the world I believe), Honningsvåg for the Nord Cap, Båtsfjord – Quaint arctic town. I’d only do it in good weather though.

EGHS

Aviathor wrote:

Oslo – of course. Try obtaining a PPR for ENKJ (Call Airport Manager tel +47 90562416)

I was there last week. Very convenient if you don’t need an IFR approach. Ground transportation is excellent. There is a bus stop three minutes walk from the apron and you’re in central Oslo about 25 minutes later (changing to train in Lillestrøm) at a cost of about €3.50 if you buy the ticket on your phone using the app “RuterBillett”.

As far as I gather, the PPR requirement is because the airport is joint civ/mil and the military might want it for themselves occasionally.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

pmh wrote:

Gardermoen OSLO – the main airport in Norway is GA friendly and not costly. I think I paid app 250 NOK (less than 25€) when I was there a few years back.

I think that handling is compulsory now.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message