Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR France for Dummies (me in this case)

I listed better choices above, Ostend is brilliant by the way !
Lille will work on weekdays

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Feb 21:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

We did a Zoom tonight but no Fernando

oh no! This forum is too effective! I posted at 4 pm, Zoom call was proposed a few minutes later, and all was done and dusted by 8 pm! 😂

On a serious note, I’m really sorry. I didn’t have a chance to read any responses until now. Do you have a recording? :)

EGSU, United Kingdom

johnh wrote:

For flying VFR in France, I strongly recommend installing SDVFR on a phone or tablet

Thank you John. Downloaded! Dan wrote:

Fernando, don’t overrate flying in France, difficultly wise, or any EU country as a matter of fact.

Dan, that’s reassuring. Thank you!

Ibra wrote:

Hi Fernando, congrats for your new toy, ping if you are coming to Paris or Normandie

Thank you, Ibra. I will. I don’t speak much french, but my partner speaks it natively, so I just need to take her with me :) However, I can’t make it to a 400m grass on a Cirrus.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Zoom next Tuesday 2000 UTC on the topic of this thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

but my partner speaks it natively

Be careful about that. Talking to ATC etc is not the same as anything else. I speak fluent, almost bilingual French and never have trouble in any normal situation (social, professional) but I still struggle with doing the radio in French. It takes practice and above all knowing exactly what people are likely to say.

LFMD, France

All ATC speak English?

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Feb 08:11

Peter wrote:

Zoom next Tuesday 2000 UTC on the topic of this thread.

Fantastic! I’ll be there :)

EGSU, United Kingdom

All ATC speak English?

In Europe, all are required to have ELP4. But of course many don’t – it’s a business with powerful unions, not to mention other reasons

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fine, ATC can’t speak English on radio and the partner can’t speak French even she is fluent, jeez Fernando is doomed

All ATC speak English?

For sure all professional ATC can be done in English, though sometimes you have to make the same allowances you would like them to make if you use French.

AFIS at smaller places I think in theory can be done in English but other pilots will for sure be speaking French.

Untowered fields are (always I think) French only, but you will only be doing self-announce on the radio and at most of them the chances of there being anyone else active are pretty small.

I’ll leave it to an experienced French pilot (by birth!) to suggest the actual words to use.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message