Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR flying for IFR pilots

After flying almost exclusively IFR between airports that have SIDS, STARs, IAPs etc for many years, I have found myself feeling very uncomfortable flying VFR compared to my pre-IR days and am wondering what experience others have had in this regard and how they have overcome that discomfort.

Based on my analysis, the discomfort (and sometimes outright stress) seems to have come primarily from the fact that flying VFR is (by design) less precise than IFR flying and therefore I feel I am not flying “quite as well”, stemming from the following factors:

• Not always 100% sure where I am. With IFR flying I monitor progress of the flight in relation to some known NAVAID or intersection and I know my bearing and distance. I either fly a known route (own navigation) between points (normally using GPS nowadays) or receive radar vectors. With VFR flying, the primary means of navigation is visual landmarks and controller instructions (“stay north of the M3”, arrival procedures etc are normally expressed in terms of landmarks. Although I can use GPS and NAVAIDs as supporting means of navigation, there tend to be surprises, especially to airfields I haven’t been to. In other words, with VFR flying there is this lingering feeling of ambiguity (“Is this now really the motorway I need to follow? Should I have turned left after this town is it really the next town?”
  • One doesn’t get directly led to the airfield/runway. IFR flying and IAPs are designed to set one up on a defined path (normally extended runway centreline) at which point one transitions to a final visual approach to land. With VFR flying I sometimes find myself (especially when required to fly at low altitudes due to airspace constraints) looking for the airfield. After a while (sometimes aided with GPS), the airfield is eventually found but I find myself stressing out before that, especially in busy airspace.
  • Responsible for own terrain and traffic separation. Terrain separation isn’t normally an issue when in good weather or one applies IFR-style margins in marginal weather. I do feel less comfortable with traffic separation though, especially on CAVOK days on weekend when there is lots of VFR traffic at lower altitudes. Although IFR-to-VFR separation doesn’t exist in class E and G airspaces, one isn’t normally too constrained by airspace constraints and can climb to higher altitudes or into class A/B/C/D airspace.
  • IFR flying is all about attitude flying and precise execution of turns, flying of headings/tracks, altitudes and speeds. This all requires concentration with eyes on the instruments, scanning and reacting to deviations where necessary. Obviously a trimmed out plane and the autopilot help but precision around headings, altitudes, speeds etc become second nature. With VFR, most of the time is supposed to be spent looking outside the cockpit, especially given lack of traffic separation or whilst on the lookout for certain visual landmarks. With that, I find flying tends to get “sloppier” in terms of IFR-style precision but then VFR flying doesn’t expect and require the same level of precision as IFR flying.

I didn’t have the same discomfort in my VFR only-flying days. Has anyone had similar experiences and how did you then overcome that discomfort?

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I know exactly what you’re talking about. In my case, I’ve found that putting the onus on the controller to keep separation is quite addictive and going back to VFR, where you have to “work at it” to not crash into other aircraft, can be quite taxing. Not only that, IFR removed the possibility of you busting some airspace or restricted area too. I still do VFR for shorter trips, or when the clearance is easier or better to pick up in the air than on the ground, but I’m not as “comfortable” with it as I was.

You are responsible for your own terrain separation even when IFR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Norwegian_C-130_crash

ESME, ESMS

@Dimme

I can’t find a link to the final accident report, and it’s perhaps different in Sweden, but my understanding is that if you’re on an IFR flight plan ATC should never clear you below a safe altitude until you start the approach. They don’t have responsibility for terrain clearance unless they’re vectoring you, but I still don’t think they’ll ever intentionally instruct you to go to an unsafe altitude. Obviously errors happen, and pilots should maintain situational awareness, to cross check ATC, but they should never endanger you. But maybe you meant something else?

United States

@redRover

The final accidentreport is only available in Swedish and Norwegian.

-ESMP-
ESMP, ESMV

redRover wrote:

I can’t find a link to the final accident report, and it’s perhaps different in Sweden, but my understanding is that if you’re on an IFR flight plan ATC should never clear you below a safe altitude until you start the approach. They don’t have responsibility for terrain clearance unless they’re vectoring you, but I still don’t think they’ll ever intentionally instruct you to go to an unsafe altitude. Obviously errors happen, and pilots should maintain situational awareness, to cross check ATC, but they should never endanger you. But maybe you meant something else?

In the case of the Norwegian C-130 they were flying in uncontrolled airspace at the time of the crash. In short, the controller had issued a descent clearance and the crew descended early, leaving controlled airspace. Given the airspace structure, it made sense to descend (partly) in uncontrolled airspace. That would have been perfectly fine if they had only checked the minimum safe altitude.

(After the accident, the Swedish rules were changed so that a controller can’t issue a clearance that could take an aircraft outside controlled airspace except on the explicit request by the pilot.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

wbardof, why not just fly navaid to navaid then? Presumably you have a gps as well as the ifr instrumentation needed so all that is missing is the “controller” telling you what to do next. Sounds easy to me as that is what many of us do.

UK, United Kingdom

It is ironic that the whole world of flight training is upside down.

VFR is, indeed, more difficult than IFR. But equally jets are easier than pistons, multicrew is easier than single pilot, bigger aircraft are easier than small ones, automation is easier than manual etc etc.

Yet, ab initio we have to start at VFR single crew hand flown SEPs using paper charts and whizzwheels and work “up” to a point where greater respect is shown to the professional, multi, instrument rated jet pilot than the SEP VFR pilot.

I have seen several airline training captains coming quite unstuck flying VFR OCAS.

VFR is just as much a skill that has to be learned and kept current as IFR, and has plenty more gotchas.

But equally we have to guard against becoming Children of the Magenta

EGKB Biggin Hill

@Dimme

Sorry, let me clarify my point on terrain separation: One would still need to consider terrain (even more so for IFR than for VFR), however following published routes and IAPs would ensure that you have sufficient terrain clearance as they have been flight tested. Also, radar vectoring in controlled airspace should keep you above terrain unless the controller makes a mistake. In uncontrolled airspace, it is definitely a very important consideration, including for airfields without published IAPs.

To come back to the original intention of the thread, I would still be interested in your experiences.

Thanks

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I recently was pax in an A320 on approach to Pisa when they announced that local conditions required them to cancel their approach and everybody should look out the window because the tilted tower would be visible. So, guess what they did: They flew a normal VFR traffic pattern – downwind, crosswind, final, into Pisa Airport.. Gear down, slow speed, unusual pitch attitude, but wonderfully flown.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message