Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR flight plan filing for multiple aircraft

Hi all. I am looking for a FPL solution for filing flight plans in UK, France and Spain. We are a squadron or a flight of 5 aircraft going on the one plan. It’s easy back home in Ireland, just phone it in. Skydemon doesn’t allow us to enter multiple aircraft. Any suggestions appreciated.

Ireland

I’m Spain, there used to be a field for that in the paper flight plan. IIRC it was called ‘number’, but it’s been a few years since I last flew there.

I use SD and it allows to enter multiple aircraft, using the ‘show full form’ button. In Spain, we used to file this way, adding the type and reg of the ‘other’ aircraft under ‘other information’. I did always call to the ARO though to make sure everything was clear, which was not always the case initially..

I used this mainly for going to Menorca LESL from Mallorca. I would do the radio for the whole group. However, the ARO stopped accepting it a few years back and wanted individual FPLs. I have no idea if this is only a local thing. It could be that this has to do with operating to or near big AENA airports, in this case LEMH.

The official Spanish form does allow for a number of aircraft to be filled in, see page 15 of this

I don’t know if one can do this for international and/or IFR plans. I does not say you can’t, but would seem a bit troublesome for ATC. Imagine having to line up a formation of four on an appch. No way this can be done without directly talking to all and that defies the whole point of a formation FPL.

My guess would be that you won’t have any problem filing for multiple aircraft on a internal VFR flight to and from a non-AENA field. But then you don’t even need a FPL

Son Alberti LEJF, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

The official Spanish form does allow for a number of aircraft to be filled in, see page 15 of this

Yes, that’s what I was referring to, item 9.

Skydemon doesn’t allow us to enter multiple aircraft

As @Aart suggested above you can. We’ve done it several times, and only on international flights. And of course for VFR flights only…
AFAIK, ATC expects aircraft flying on the same FPL to be flying together, as in formation, at the largest in route formation position, the more so for crossing CAS.
Considering the risks and fatigue involved, we basically stopped this practice, and usually file and fly separately when traveling.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Thanks for the responses. We use in Ireland for group flights but again it depends on the airport here. Generally use this when on long water crossings, zone transits or international flights to FIS aerodromes. It’s always a concern at the arrival airport but you ask when you request PPR for the prefferred procedure. Some ATCO’s prefer one voice for the group others don’t or can’t procedurely accomodate. Generally you couldn’t use into a CTR to land but with FIS aerodrome you would close the FPL before entering the ATZ. Then do seperate RT in sequence, Call sign, 1of 5 etc. Normal lead a/c squawks and does comms, others on listening watch and conspicuity. Once we have been asked that the trailing aircraft to do comms so they know when the last aircraft has left the zone.

Regarding Skydemon, thank you, had I gone to FPL page 2 I would have spotted it..yes item.9 and regs in item 18.

Ireland

johnnyirvine wrote:

Generally you couldn’t use into a CTR to land but with FIS aerodrome you would close the FPL before entering the ATZ

We have done that a few times here at ENVA (controlled and C). Different landing procedures according to who is in the tower as I remember, but at one time he simply said: Left is slow. This worked just fine At smaller fields, there’s no other way than to land one at a time.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Filing with ForeFlight allows the entry of number of aircraft, so would be able to file a multiple aircraft flight.

KUZA, United States
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message