Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Van's RV Aircraft for hire in the UK?

That LAA doc is a bombshell!

This might be a problem though

You may have a problem convincing the CAA that the FE is not getting paid

Even IMC training is permitted in a suitably equipped aircraft.

Has to be done in VMC though, which is OK.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Dec 13:57
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Perhaps the thread title could be changed – it’s ’Van’s’ (as in Richard van Grunsven of Van’s Aircraft Inc) as opposed to ‘Rans’ (as in Randy Schlitter of Rans Designs Inc).

Don’t get confused by calling UK registered/operated Permit to Fly aircraft ‘Experimental’ which is a US term for similar.

Other posted gen is good, ie you can’t rent PtF aircraft and especially the link to LAA TL 2.09 – everything you need to know as it actually is.

Experimental is also used in other parts of Europe, such as up here in Sweden.

So, does the “Permit to Fly” category cover everything from amateur built to Spitfires? So, one should be able to get a PPL+IR in a two seat Spit? Awesome!
Not here, that’s for sure… Sounds like another exemption to the common EASA regs that don’t allow exemptions. Surprise!

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

the thread title could be changed

Done.

I too was astonished you could do a PPL in an Annex 2 plane, if you buy it yourself.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Air Force using RVs for training is the Nigerian Air Force. They’re RV6As built locally, quantity 60 apparently and they call them Air Beetles.

There are a lot of RVs of all types flying local to me, I don’t know how many at home base but maybe 25 (?) I think what they have in common is a balance of practicality, longevity, high performance and cross country capability at low cost. But they’re not the same plane – so it would pay to focus on the type of greatest interest. A plans built RV4 would be half the cost and quite a different plane than a quick build RV8 that looks similar, and different again from a nose wheel, side-by-side RV7A. A four place RV10 is something completely different again.

A friend suggested to me a while ago that Van could be given a medal for his contribution to GA, and upon reflection I think he’s correct. Without RVs the GA world would be in far worse place today – the ‘glass homebuilts of the 80s didn’t have what it took to ‘replace’ factory built aircraft of the 50s-70s, and the development of inexpensive matched hole kits made RVs practical for the average handy builder to construct, not just highly skilled people.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Dec 20:22

Ooops, sorry for the title error; thanks for correcting. I indicated I wanted to know more about the aircraft and now I do.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

I’m on my 4th RV!

No, you can’t rent one. But owners generally like to show off their aircraft!

There are numerous examples in the South of England near to you. A good way of introducing yourself and expressing your interest would be to join the RVQSN yahoo group which circulates to a large proportion of the UK RV owners.

The reason for the popularity is that they actually do live up to all the hype. You seldom here of anyone regretting buying or building one.

The tandem seat varieties are not really suitable as ab-initio tailwheel trainers, but the take-off and landing is sufficiently benign that someone who is current on tailwheel types can generally go straight to the front seat with no problems.

[URL fixed up]

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Dec 21:19
KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Thanks. I will explore your link. I believe there is an RV8 based at Shoreham, north side so I might be cheeky and introduce myself. People can only say no.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

The Air Force using RVs for training is the Nigerian Air Force.

Sorry, wrong continent. I thought they were built by ENAER or someone, hence the South American reference.
Anyway, probably a very cheap alternative to SF260, Grob, Texan II and all the established AF trainers.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

I’m well behind Mark 1 being only on my second co-built/owned RV…

The facts speak for themselves:
Van’s Aircraft have been in existence for over 40 years
8512 RVs flying world wide – in at least 45 countries
Completion rate now around 1.5 per day
In the UK over 300 are flying and there’s another 228 under construction

As Mark said, they do what they say on the tin

Sign in to add your message