Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

USA seller’s market: are we reaching Peak Cherokee

OK, I called it two years early but it looks like prices are falling and lots more stock coming on. I spoke to a UK based dealer always know for “toppy” pricing who said “the market had changed”. Another dealer I spoke to said the market was “better” meaning more aircraft coming on the market and more sensible asking prices

The main UK dealers now have much more stock and there is much more coming on afors, planecheck etc.

I have noticed a step change in the last 4 weeks in the UK as obviously, people have waited until March to list things for sale before the flying season.

United Kingdom

My subtle feeling is the market is changing or at least beginning to change

The market of new & used airplanes is still booming after CV19 mostly fuelled by 1/ low interest rates 2/ cheap credit and 3/ fiscal stimulus and 4/ limited stock of aircraft

The US had nice tax efficient use of aircraft owned & operated by business where one can depreciate 1million Cirrus in one or two years in their books & records under Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act…so lot of people who bought new aircraft had not much use of them other than “de-tax their business”, this is here to stay and it’s what is pushing the top end of the pricing…an increase in interest rates or credit spreads may slowdown things a bit on inflation but these people are very careless when it comes to money (cash or credit), they are still ordering those 1m piston aircraft that they can paint in shallow violet or vivid blue

In the other hand, there are a bunch of people who gave up on flying (corona lockdown, fuel price) and are selling used cars now while they weak up with a market is near it’s historical peak, I am not sure how many of these “buble boys” are out there? but these are the guys to watch for when it comes to going into bear market or slowly going bust

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 May 19:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think we will soon be seeing a “bubble burst” across a number of sectors. Mountain bikes will be next. Seen the prices lately

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

My subtle feeling is the market is changing or at least beginning to change. Let’s see.

I agree. The recent downturn in the stock market has removed a lot of ‘play money’ from the system.

Snoopy wrote:

My subtle feeling is the market is changing or at least beginning to change. Let’s see.

Looking at ads, I have the same impression.
I have just visited a Cherokee 6 300 – project- quite a lot of hours (>8500), documentation seems OK, condition seems fine. But old. Not so long ago such planes were above 100k, but now I am not sure any more if this would be a good investment…

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

always learning
LO__, Austria

That is a cute little Cheetah if it proves ok in a pre-buy, priced to sell fast. Cheetahs are sought afte airframes.

This looks very much like someone who has owned the plane for a long time and stopped flying for some reason and now it gets sold by someone else, such as part of an estate of people who want to get rid of it, or by someone who recently bought it and found it not to be to his liking or who is bankrupt and needs to get rid of it in a hurry.

Main issue:has it flown since 2020 and avoinics.

37 k is not too bad for this plane as it stands, as a white sheet for upgrades or as a competitively priced plane for someone who wants to fly with an ipad. 2 years ago, before the boom, this plane might have been advertized for 20-25k.

That Beech for 20 k is a potential money pit, as it requires complete avoinic upgrade. BE23 as such are not very popular. And yea, someone wants to get rid of it asap.

Looking at the current listings there are a few such low priced planes but the huge majority still asks a lot more than 2 years ago. There may be a downturn as people go into depression and fear of crisis, but so far there is no “flood” of airplanes, which would kill the high prices reall fast. As long as there are only few planes for sale and even fewer viable candidates, prices will hold on.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Now down to €20,000. A 50% drop!

Weird, it was 20k when I posted it, yet the pdf shows 40k.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Someone really needs to sell this https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=52742

planecheck_N5RC_52742_pdf

Now down to €20,000. A 50% drop!

EIMH, Ireland

And another one.

always learning
LO__, Austria
238 Posts
Sign in to add your message