Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UL trip into Spain

aart wrote:

Then again, your Spanish is probably at a level where you would be able to charm that lady to make a drive to a nearby fuel station for some Diesel.

Sure I always find Spanish people very friendly and knowing the language is highly appreciated.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

aart wrote:

Which brings me to about 125 hours of flight time so far this year
Yes, I know, I’ll be punished in hell, but I guess it’s worth it.

Of course you will, and well deserved! You should obviously fly at least 200hr so you can get closer to the Heavenly and orderly Goods and leave the [sub]earthly punishment-deserving practices be hind low , ha ha

Last Edited by Antonio at 22 Jul 13:28
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Nice write up, thank you!

And what a pity, seems like I landed in La Morgal only hours after you left…

However that flight was more about arriving than to enjoy landscape. It was like this:

Most exhausting about that flight was to find that magic hole to climb on top, because the weather was the same from Germany all the way to the Atlantic coast at the border to Spain. I found a hole, due to some orographic turbulence, after about 160nm into the flight already way over France. Did not have the capacity left to make fotos from that part of the flight, cloud base was 1700-2200ft MSL, hill tops in clouds and me searching the way, visibility often around 5 km.

An IR would have eased it a lot, cloud layer was maybe 300 meters thick. This was my farthest flight so far, nearly 800 nm. Due to 1.5 hours of scud running in the beginning and the lack of forecasted tailwind the flight took nearly 6 hours. But still had about 3 hours of fuel left in the end.

Last Edited by UdoR at 22 Jul 14:55
Germany

UdoR wrote:

Due to 1.5 hours of scud running in the beginning and the lack of forecasted tailwind the flight took nearly 6 hours. But still had about 3 hours of fuel left in the end.

In general, but especially when flying VFR in this wx, this would have been a completely different picture if you had only 1h (vs 3h) fuel remaining. The reassurance afforded by that extra fuel is priceless!

Well done for managing what appears to have been a challenging trip! Would you care to post further details?

Antonio
LESB, Spain
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message