Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UL trip into Spain

Thanks for the report, I really enjoyed reading it!

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Hi Roland,
You need to renew every 6 months. For now, I prefer not to register it in Spain, better to stay clear of AESA if possible. It would be a problem anyway because (for now) Spain uses 450 kg as MTOM (unlike most other countries 472 kg incl parachute) and my plane is a bit heavy empty with lots of options.. The other advantage is that many controllers think I’m a certified plane this way May come in handy one day, as the official UL rules in Spain are 1.000 ft AGL and clear of controlled airspace, although one thing is the rules and another thing is how it often works in practice.

Last Edited by aart at 19 Jul 11:28
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Jan, good to see you back here!

I am not back. I did want to show appreciation for your very nice trip and the superb report. It will be carefully and very gratefully remembered.

Last Edited by at 24 Jul 19:49
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The other advantage is that many controllers think I’m a certified plane this way

…the 90HP Super Cub also enjoys similar gender fluidity but at 80knots :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Great report @aart! Do you know which type of Savannah it was? What was the cruising speed of the formation?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 07 May 16:18
always learning
LO__, Austria

Great report. Thanks. Are some of the fields also accessible with a Echo-Class bird, or are they all UL only?

EDDS , Germany

Of the fields we visited, only Casarrubios, Soria and Jaca also allow Echo class (as you call it).
There are fields that are converting from UL-only to include certified aircraft. There is a procedure that the operator of the field has to go through to ‘certify’ the field, no big deal apparently, still need to find out what it entails. Note that it is then up to the pilot whether he thinks that the field meets his minima. Often the rwy length is not that impressive..

aart wrote:

Echo class

What’s that ???

E. used in Germany for ‘certified’. You can see it on the call signs. D-Exxx

It‘s an entirely German term. Hardly anybody else understands it.

In the Germanic nomenclature, it means „single engine aircraft below 2 tons MTOW“, excluding motorgliders and ultralights, but including, for example, experimentals. So it doesn‘t really stand for „certified“.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message