Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums


Is it possible for a holder of an EASA CPL to get a UK CPL without losing the EASA CPL, as long as UK is part of the EU?

Is there any equivalent to the National PPL but for CPL?

The reason I am asking is because a UK CPL is a prerequisite for some companies hiring in the UK and they do not accept other EASA CPL.


Yes, UK CAA is obliged to grant a United Kingdom pilot’s licence upon application pursuant to article 152 of the ANO and UK membership of EU or EASA is not relevant. This includes a CPL in the aeroplane category. Licence types are defined in schedule 8 to the Order. I haven’t examined it for a while but I don’t believe a commercial equivalent of the ‘sub-ICAO’ NPPL exists. See arts 137 and 148 for circumstances in which a UK licence is valid or see this diagram (link).

London, United Kingdom

What companies would want a UK CPL? It is only valid for Annex I (nee II) aircraft

Now retired from forums best wishes

Do they mean an EASA part FCL CPL issued/managed by the UK CAA?

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Balliol wrote:

What companies would want a UK CPL? It is only valid for Annex I (nee II) aircraft

The Concorde is Annex I, so he maybe onto a prestigious job after all

You can force the UK CAA to issue you a UK PPL/CPL/ATPL if you can get your hand on some Annex I aircraft that require a TR (not sure that many are around )

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jun 19:01
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Here is the text from the ad:

“Valid UK CAA issue EASA Frozen ATPL, CPL or MPL (or willing to convert prior to employment)”

This is what I was asking. My main objective is not losing the non-UK EASA CPL.


They want you to do a state of licence issue conversion to UK for your EASA licence. You can’t hold two EASA licences in different states.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Probably not possible while the UK is in EASA, you can only have one EASA licence and probably not worth it when the UK is not in EASA…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

So this would not be a smart conversion, at a time when people try to convert their licenses the other direction.


You can always go back if you need to…

This is a curious requirement since the UK CAA has stated that they will accept EASA papers for 2 years post-brexit. That takes care of any G-reg aircraft, for worldwide ops. It is Brussels which has said they will not accept UK papers at all for EASA-regs post-brexit – which is a lot more aggressive – and while that is IMHO hardly capable of being sustained on the relevant day, operators have to assume it will be implemented.

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top