Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Nice and friendly GA Airports in the area of Montpellier LFMT / Perpignan LFMP / Beziers LFMU

As I posted further back, it depends on the detail. You had no police check needed, and you had a TOTAL card so didn’t have to get the bowser. Two very big factors in your favour. In fact you didn’t need to interact with anybody on the ground at all, because LFMT emails you an invoice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

skydriller wrote:

We did think Cannes itself was a little bit “up itself and over-rated”

I used to go to Mandelieu (the actual place the airport is) a few times and found it much nicer than Cannes itself. There is a marina and a small beach at La Napoule and from there to the west begins the area of many beaches and places like Theoule e.t.c. In La Napoule itself there are some cute little hotels and great restaurants and other places. And with the bus or a rental car you are in Cannes in no time.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 04 Nov 11:57
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

And with the bus or a rental car you are in Cannes in no time.

If you want to use LFMD to go just to Cannes, the city bus stops literally just outside the airport, and runs every 10 or so minutes. From Cannes you can take the train (reasonably frequent, every 30 minutes or so headed eastwards) or bus to go elsewhere along the coast or inland (e.g. Grasse, the perfume capital).

LFMD, France

Well, having just been to LFMT (2 nights’ stay) for a meet-up, I have worked out why I was right in my criticism and why those who had a go at me here and here were not right

It depends on the detail – as I keep saying… but many people don’t like posting detail, of which a part would demolish their argument. They just like to have a go at somebody.

LFMT works for fuel. You land, wave your arm at the fuel guy and he drives up to you. If the fuel is the wrong one and you want the other one, you tell him and he comes back with the other bowser. He fills you up with a smile and you pay him with your card. The airport knows nothing about you. The GA building, which is probably locked up (except you can just walk through to the road outside), lights off, toilets locked, reception shut, also doesn’t want to know. The police don’t give a damn, too. So you can take off again, zero hassle. The airport may have your email address and they will email you the invoice, but if you never corresponded with them (prob99 the case for intra schengen) they just lose the money, but like many French airports (some invoice a year in arrears) they also aren’t bothered. If you are N-reg they may eventually write to your trustee and he sends you their invoice with a stroppy covering letter which is why I am quite keen to always pay but that assumes ATC tell OPS which looks unlikely.

LFMT doesn’t work for customs/immigration IF you want the passport stamp. To find the police, you have to go into the passenger terminal and hassle the Info desk, who have no clue WTF you want and think you are a lost airline passenger. The police are supposed to have been notified when you email the airport (which you have done, haven’t you, with all your details? ) but they are nowhere to be seen. After some effort you get the whole “9mm team” and they then go off and look for the stamp. Half an hour later you get a lovely stamp. Clearly nobody bothers. Luckily, France is not Germany where you could get arrested for this, and/or fined long after you have left the country – details here. And the same happens at other French airports. You email your details as required but nobody turns up. I could name others but why draw attention?

LFMT also works great for passing through the GA terminal. This clearly applies here, except there isn’t a coded gate; you just walk though the GA terminal. To get back in you press a button and a man lets you in, after looking at your license and ID and writing them down.

What you must not do is try to do the right thing Same at other places.

EuroGA database report

Administrator

Great airport – although nobody cared to come and stamp us in and out of the EU (I got Bologna Police to do it).

How do you pay for the fees? Nobody stopped us, just the guy at security when we had to use the toilet. Make sure you bring your license + passport to use that.

Expect Apron F and stand F2 for transits and request frequency on arrival for JetA1/AVGAS. Payable via Credit Card or Visa Debit.

Probably by far the most efficient, stress-free airport, I’ve ever touched wheels with. Even more so than Le Touquet.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

Payable via Credit Card or Visa Debit.

There’s a self serve Total station there as well but you need the Total card for that. Fuel truck guy was very friendly and helpful and indeed accepted my Credit Card.

pilotrobbie wrote:

How do you pay for the fees?

I called the number that was hanging on the information desk’s window that said to call it if the desk was closed which was the case for all 3 days for me over the weekend (Fri evening – Sun late afternoon). The guy said to not worry about it and that they’ll send an invoice in a couple of weeks or so. Still didn’t get anything and it’s been 3 weeks+ since.

pilotrobbie wrote:

Probably by far the most efficient, stress-free airport, I’ve ever touched wheels with. Even more so than Le Touquet.

But yeah, it was a great experience at LFMT, even got the fire brigade to lend me a ladder to check the fuel.

ELLX, Luxembourg

Great airport – although nobody cared to come and stamp us in and out of the EU (I got Bologna Police to do it).

Indeed – see above.

Not everyone agrees – here – but one has to work out why I was wrong The key to doing LFMT right is to understand that nobody there wants to deal with you. A perfect airport!

They email you the invoice, eventually.

Administrator

Landing at Quimper on a sunday there was no-one to pay and it took nearly 3 months before I got the €3.25 invoice.
It’s not a surprise in France.

Last Edited by gallois at 08 Aug 16:19
France

Peter wrote:

Indeed – see above.

On the first flight, I asked the fuel guy – he said just pee on the bush by the Foxtrot Apron or walk to the GA terminal (When you walk in the door, just knock on the door with security to let them know you are just going toilet). They literally don’t give a ****!

Peter wrote:

The key to doing LFMT right is to understand that nobody there wants to deal with you. A perfect airport!

I had to send a GENDEC, which may explain the lack of Police turning up. In EDSB – Baden Baden, another GA gem, they turned up twice before our departure to the UK. So I don’t know what to say other than I was 25 minutes late on the way back, and the JetA1 guy turned up – refilled whilst I went for a transit pee (He said no problem, he fills the DA40s all the time down here for the club) and I only departed back to the UK 19 minutes late.

Very efficient, but at least Bologna understood about stamps each way. I wonder when I attempt Ibiza in September, if this will work….

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

Landing at Quimper on a sunday there was no-one to pay and it took nearly 3 months before I got the €3.25 invoice.
It’s not a surprise in France.

Yeah but you can get also a bit of rough surprise, like me getting a landing fee for a night landing, when no one was there and I thought would be free, 4.5 months later for 43.51€ from LFSN. Maybe the charged me for using the PCL ¯\(°_o)/¯

ELLX, Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message