Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Nice and friendly GA Airports in the area of Montpellier LFMT / Perpignan LFMP / Beziers LFMU

OK, so intra Schengen. Half the job avoided. The rest is just avgas…

This is why we have our airport database. One can read multiple reports and decide. It would be great if you posted yours because otherwise nobody will know. In fact it would be great if many more people contributed, because it helps so many others.

There are various other angles here. I don’t know why avgas took a long time. Maybe there was a problem with the bowser. But nobody could tell me that. Prob99 the full extent of ELP of the Ground guy was the usual phrases, and “I will call them”. I got “I will call them” every time. IME, practically all “ATC” in France (and other places) cannot speak any kind of conversational English, so they can’t say “there is a problem with the bowser; it will be 10 mins”. In the air, you have to keep it all very standard, otherwise you get silence.

Another is the passport check. Looking at the setup there, it is pretty obvious that somebody stopping for fuel can just fill up, pay the man, and fly off. The airport will have his email address from the PPR request so they can send him the invoice. There is no “system” for checking that whoever departs out of the EU has met the police. I know there is no system at other sizeable airports too (won’t say which, obviously). At one of these, a long time ago, they told me I can’t leave because it is 24hr notice for the police (wasn’t notamed) so I just said to them I am going to LFAT, and they obviously never checked that actually the FP went to EGKA. And unlike with departing say LFDI or LFLN which all enroute ATC will know could not possibly have been legally used for a flight to the UK, in the case of LFMT it will not cross anyone’s mind to question it. Same with “PPR-police” airports; nobody seeing the flight can possibly know, or find out, whether you got the passport check. It’s simply a leaky system.

Another factor is whether the visitor speaks French. This can make a big difference. Years ago I got a lot of criticism for posting about “events” at some Italian airports (getting avgas from the aeroclub – often a nod and wink job). I then asked the guy if he speaks Italian. Heard nothing… Go figure, as they say.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hodja wrote:

3 day parking PPR

A 3 day parking PPR disqualifies any airport for VFR other than in high summer, and then with caution. Same goes for any customs and non-schengen stuff if you need it.

ANY PPR of more than a few hours kills the very purpose of GA: To be flexible. VFR you don’t know where you will land until you are there most of the time.

I do recall the times of my flying down there. Perpignan, Montpellier, Avignon, St. Georis, Lyon Bron, Clermont Ferrand. 24 hours open, no PPR, always customs on the airfield and no but no hassle whatsoever. Gone.

Honestly, I think it may be time to get out of this. For good.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

No, you just arrange your destinations differently

The GA communities in whole countries have done that. It’s just that us “oldies” remember the easy old times and don’t like losing them. It is easy to do if you “don’t go anywhere” which is what most GA does. It is a bigger challenge if you want to go places.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

No, you just arrange your destinations differently

Which destinations? I am not interested to go to a small airfield 50 miles from my destination and to land before at a handling trap to get customs.

Just look at what evolved over the last few weeks here. We are running out of valid destinations very fast, at least anyone who needs customs on a regular basis or who wants to land near the destination but not out in the boonies without any infrastructure.

At the moment, my useful destinations are down to TWO. Both are reasonably big airports and it is only a question of time until they go bad too. And by the end of 2023 I will loose my homebase due to outpricing, an airport which I dedicated all my professional life to. That is not only a kick in the arse but in the face.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

What happened to the fuel island at Cannes? Last time I flew there, a few weeks ago, it was still there. It is used by all the aeroclubs.

It’s a bit odd because there are two pumps. One only works with an AirBP card, the other only works with a regular Visa/MC card, which is a nuisance because typically these impose a limit (my French card is limited to €150).

Or has this all changed in the last few weeks?

LFMD, France

Stopped in Cannes too a week ago, and no, I didn’t wait 3 hrs for the fuel truck – the fuel truck came after 2 mins & the fuel guy had completed the refueling before I’d even finished putting the covers on the airplane.

I was there during boat show (2 weeks or so ago), super-busy period, a lot of traffic, refueled literally in 5 min, everything went smooth and highly professional. Same with Montpellier, although I was there last time a year ago.

Last Edited by Emir at 23 Sep 21:40
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

johnh wrote:

What happened to the fuel island at Cannes? Last time I flew there, a few weeks ago, it was still there. It is used by all the aeroclubs.

It’s a bit odd because there are two pumps. One only works with an AirBP card, the other only works with a regular Visa/MC card, which is a nuisance because typically these impose a limit (my French card is limited to €150).

Or has this all changed in the last few weeks?

No change to the self service avgas station in Cannes. They still have the credit card limit but you can use the same card again when you exceed the limit.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

you can use the same card again when you exceed the limit.

Indeed, and I’ve done that. In my much-missed 182 it took three goes with the card. But you have to be careful because you don’t want to fill one wing and then discover the card is declined and you have a 500 lb imbalance between the wings. Cessna don’t actually publish a limit but at best it would be uncomfortable.

LFMD, France

LFMT is bank transfer only, no credit cards (they email you the invoice) so non EU visitors have a bit of “fun” with bank charges paying the €14.64

It may be easier for me to airmail them €15 in cash…

Administrator

@Peter I used Revolut to pay LFMT without any fees. For that amount I’m tempted just to pay it for you :-)

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message