Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crossing the North Atlantic in 2019 - Preparations

I plan to cross the North Atlantic in 2019 with our Bonanza B36TC to visit Oshkosh and spend some time flying in the US.

In this thread I look for recommendations for various topics.
Presently I’m in contact with Beechtalk.com and a ferry pilot about power settings for max range, routing and optionally a ferry tank.

Another information that I’m looking for right now is about a sat phone.
I want to use it in flight to (optionally) talk to controllers, so I guess I need a cable antenna, that I put on the glareshield.
As I have no use for the sat phone other than that trip, I’m going to rent it.

What model can you recommend and does it work as I plan?

EDMA, Germany

Well, not much I can contribute here as we have a panel mounted sat phone. The only thing relevant might be that position reports really work well via sat phone. Which route will you take?

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

terbang wrote:

Which route will you take?

That’s what I’m planning at the moment.
Presently EGPC BGKK BGBW CYYR
but I still have to verify the long range power setting of the Bonanza.

EDMA, Germany

AFAIK, this is not allowed below FL250 and without HF. A satphone on board doesn’t solve the issue.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

This is the relevant document. Between BGBW and CYYR HF is required unless you file and fly at or above 250. If you file 250 for the westerly direction they might let you fly at 240. I know of people who have pretended to have HF and got away with it on this route, but I also have credible account of a pilot who had to return albeit not on this route. We flew at 250.

Last Edited by terbang at 14 Feb 20:11
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

You do need HF radio, even if you don’t use it, for flight in the Shanwick or Gander OCAs.
From the Canadian rules (CARs):

Transoceanic Flight
602.39 No pilot-in-command of a single-engined aircraft, or of a multi-engined aircraft that would be unable to maintain flight in the event of the failure of any engine,

shall commence a flight that will leave Canadian Domestic Airspace and enter airspace over the high seas unless

(a) the pilot-in-command holds a pilot licence endorsed with an instrument rating;

(b) the aircraft is equipped with

(i) the equipment referred to in section 605.18,

(ii) a high frequency radio capable of transmitting and receiving on a minimum of two appropriate international air-ground general purpose frequencies, and

(iii) hypothermia protection for each person on board; and

(c) the aircraft carries sufficient fuel to meet the requirements of section 602.88 and, in addition, carries contingency fuel equal to at least 10 per cent of the fuel

required pursuant to section 602.88 to complete the flight to the aerodrome of destination.

Your route goes through both OCAs, though a short detour N of the Faroes keeps you out of Shanwick.

To stay out of Gander OCA, you need to route something like Nuuk-Iqaluit.
I believe Gander issues oceanic clearance only over HF to avoid cheating.
The northern route also keeps you in VHF coverage most of the way even down at 6000’. Failing that you can often raise airliners on 121.5 to relay your message (they’ll often switch to 123.45 after you’ve made contact).

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Mark_1 wrote:

I believe Gander issues oceanic clearance only over HF to avoid cheating

My last Ferry (US to Europe), I was asked 2 times on ground in Goose if I was HF equipped.
I was, and was expecting to have to reach them while on the ground, but then the Tower gave me the Oceanic clearance to BIKF via VHF.

HF is a bit of a gamble when you have it installed(antenna/tuner). Sometimes it is working like a charm, sometimes not.
Biggest issue I find is the feedback interference when transmitting out on HF.
You often have to use several tries to find a setup that works.
HAM operators are great resources when troubleshooting such issues.

The ICOM HF radios work great, and are not too expensive. I have the IC-7000, modified for Aeronautical radio.

Last Edited by spirit49 at 15 Feb 03:20
spirit49
LOIH

Mark_1 wrote:

Your route goes through both OCAs, though a short detour N of the Faroes keeps you out of Shanwick.

You avoid Shanwick by routing via RATSU (the corner of Shanwick airspace). This is South of the Faroes.

I believe Gander issues oceanic clearance only over HF to avoid cheating.

No, they issue them over VHF almost exclusively for clarity.

It is certainly true that if you want to fly via Narsarsuaq you need to fly 250 or above if you don’t have HF.

Last Edited by JasonC at 15 Feb 07:57
EGTK Oxford

Short Wave(HF) efficiency is:
VERY dependent on :
-Time of the day.
-Frequency selection.
-12 year solar activity.
-QSB & QRM static phenomenon.
-Length and efficiency of antenna.

LESS dependent on:
-Tx power.
-Altitude.