Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports that require special qualifications

This site may have some answers?

http://www.europeanmountainpilots.org/en/site-10/countries.html

The AIPM (Italy) may run courses from Belluno, but not sure if they are EASA valid or just national. In theory you need the qualification to fly a CofA aircraft into an off airport farm strip, or microlight site.

I once did the ground school, but never got round to get the flying. Sparky Imeson’s Mountain Flying Bible remains one of the best sources of common sense on mountain flying, but is not an off airport, altiport flying technique guide.

If you do not keep your speed up in a King Air or PC12 on the 20 degree gradient of Courchevel, you might find yourself sitting on your tail.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

This site may have some answers?

Following the link to the AFPM from there, you get to this list of all the clubs offering mountain rating training in France:
http://www.afpm.fr/pratiquer/aeroclubs.htm

Hi Guys, many thanks for bringing this page up to date and with such useful information and links. I had a flight from Megeve 2 weeks ago and was impressed by the friendliness of the place and instructors. I also wonder about going straight into training on skis. I am not convinced the EASA route is best for me as I am really only likely to fly in France or Spain and they recognise each other.
It’s not a cheap training unless one make use of it, so want to make sure I get value for money and a chance to use the knowledge.
Will reconsider the Spanish site which use Technams but I don’t believe do ski landings. Mind you I may just be being fanciful and wheels would be just fine…
Many thanks

EGTB

Supercub.org has a lot of useful threads on flying on skis. If you are a skier and have skied un groomed, crusty snow you can imagine the care needed to ensure your landing site is suitable and you will be able to fly out.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Tried to find a separate thread on this topic but failed so here it goes:

I am planning a trip to Samedan in a Cirrus and I am right now studying the pilot requirements to land there. I have studied the briefing packages and I just want to check that I have understood it right. Since I am unrestricted FI, I will (only)have to comply with the following:

• Study the briefing package
  • Pass the online test

If not FI:

• Study the briefing package
  • Pass the online test
  • Pass a checkout with an instructor

If any of you more frequent flyers in the area could confirm this, it would be great. Any other advice about going in here would be great. I know it is expensive so you do not have to comment on that. ;)

ESSZ, Sweden

Hi there,

yes, you got it right. Their documentation is a bit obscure (maybe on purpose?) but indeed, flight instructors don’t need the checkout flight.

I planned to go there in June, but their fly-in got weathered out twice.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Boscomantico!

Found this in the “concept for mandatory familiarization”:

And this in the online briefing system:

I think that I have seen a similar setup at Sion(LSGS), is this common for most mountain airports in Switzerland?

Last Edited by Fly310 at 17 Aug 08:22
ESSZ, Sweden

Since I am unrestricted FI, I will (only)have to comply with the following:

Are you guys sure about that? As I understand the document, only those with a “MOU-licence” (does this mean EASA mountain rating?) are exempt from the introduction flight.

Of course, this whole introduction flight is ridiculous for cat A aircraft on a 1800 meters runway. The fact that the regs are easier for turbines/jets, while the 2 deadly accidents in the past years were with exactly these kinds of aircraft, proves this is more about keeping us “little guys” away …

Last Edited by blueline at 17 Aug 18:18
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Last year, a flight instructor friend of mine clarified it with the airport. But I have to check if they have modified the docs. Stand by.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Aug 18:37
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I would like to read it like you, but they clearly state that instructors have to “fulfill blablabla in order to be authorized to familiarization” – meaning to be allowed to give familiarization training IMO.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria
Sign in to add your message