Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reggio Calabria LICR

This last summer I spent 2 weeks sailing the Aeolian Islands in Sicily, from Portorosa in the NE of Sicily.

I had 2 choices for A/D airport: Cantania and Reggio. After contacting both, Cantania refused based on lack of GA parking (this is getting to be a serious PITA for Euro GA !) , so it was Reggio by default.

I got a quote for 50€ for Handling which was reasonable enough, but never got any info on landing & parking fees.

I arrived on Saturday afternoon and was greeted by the handler and a brand new air conditioned VIP mini-bus, nice for just 50€ !

That said , I was just slightly un-easy about the fact that there were NO other GA on the ramp !

After 2 weeks of absolutely stunning sailing around Salina, Lipari, Stromboli, Panarea, et. al , back we were to collect the plane and head home. Once again, there were NO other GA on the ramp ! …

When I went to pay the fees & handling, the conversation went like this :

Handler: “So Mister, you parked your air-plane for 453 hours, correct ?”

Me: “Uh … , well …. , I suppose so … if that’s what you’ve calculated” (Uh – oh, remember, I had NO idea what the fees were …)

Handler : “And your air-plane is 2 tons, correct Sir ?”

Me: " Uh, well, not exactly, it’s 1.5 metric tons, but I suppose that puts it in the over 1 ton category" ( I KNOW where this is going and I’m now wondering if my bank card can handle it …)

Handler: " Yes, Mister, your air-plane is in the 2 ton category, so that means that th rate for parking is 453 hours X 2 which comes to 906"

Me: " Uh, well, if you say so …. " ( Oh, sh!t, here it comes, well at least the vacation was nice …. )

Handler : " So , Mister, your total charges with taxes included are 81.54 euros , will that be cash or credit card ?"

Me: " CASH !!! "

Last Edited by Michael at 18 Oct 07:19
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

how did you go from 906 to €81,54? Was it a favour or is there a objective reason why? 81 euros in an airport such as LICR for two weeks parking is absolutely a bargain.

do you have an invoice with the details?

It’s always useful to share up to date detailed infos on such airports as having official information beforehand is almost impossible in most cases.

LILC, Italy

In Italy, parking fees at the “aeroporti” are standardized. See GEN 4.1. €0.08 per ton per hour. In your case, that works out to about €72. Add landing fees on top, then the €81.52 might make sense. Did you pay the handling fee on top? Anyway, he might as well have screwed up the calculation. Wouldn’t be the first time…

Still, parking an aircraft at a big airport for two weeks without previously enquiring is risky business. The invoice could indeed have been €1000, since some airports chose to ignore the fact that the parking fees have been set by the state and charge a lot more.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Michael wrote:

your total charges with taxes included are

Good story

Good airport also I suppose.

Last Edited by AirV at 18 Oct 21:48
EFHF
boscomantico wrote:
In Italy, parking fees at the “aeroporti” are standardized. See GEN 4.1. €0.08 per ton per hour. In your case, that works out to about €72. Add landing fees on top, then the €81.52 might make sense. Did you pay the handling fee on top? Anyway, he might as well have screwed up the calculation. Wouldn’t be the first time…

Still, parking an aircraft at a big airport for two weeks without previously enquiring is risky business. The invoice could indeed have been €1000, since some airports chose to ignore the fact that the parking fees have been set by the state and charge a lot more.

The handling was considered “mandatory” and @ 50€, including helping us hump our bags & gear from the plane, through the terminal and into the taxi – and back and some other assistance, like just looking out after the plane for 2 weeks, was worth it IMO. This was in addition to landing & parking fees.

Indeed, the total bill COULD have topped one AMU, hence my trepidation when I went to settle the bill.

At any rate, I give Reggio Callabria a rating !

Last Edited by Michael at 19 Oct 06:12
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Was the 906 some kind of a billing unit, like they have in Spain?

Many Italian pilots have written that the majority of activity in Italy is UL and that obviously keeps away from the “obvious” places – just like in the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice to know, thank you for the Pirep !
Do they have avgas at LICR ?

LFOU, France

906 was from his weight and hours of parking. He was in the 2 tonnes category. 453 hours x 2 tonnes = 906. He wrote it. ;)

ESSZ, Sweden

Great info. I got similar (even lower) bill at Comiso LICB. It would be interesting to see break-down – 50€ for handling that’s clear but how much for landing and how much for parking?

And BTW it’s Catania rather than “Cantania”

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

boscomantico wrote:

In Italy, parking fees at the “aeroporti” are standardized. See GEN 4.1. €0.08 per ton per hour. In your case, that works out to about €72. Add landing fees on top, then the €81.52 might make sense

Bosco nailed it , but I went back and found the receipt, the charge was exactly 83.49€

ps: Not sure they have AvGas, prob90 not.

Last Edited by Michael at 20 Oct 06:50
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message