Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tortoli Arbatax (LIET)

I was there today, finding it boarded and locked up… but the runway and windsock seemed to be in good condition.

The runway literarily runs to a Sardinian beach, in a resort area, so it’s hard to imagine why it would be closed to GA. It would be a wonderful place to fly and stay. I wonder if anybody is familiar with the ‘political disputes’ that led to it being closed.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Sep 16:32

I’m not familiar with the reasons for closure. Perhaps someone from Italy on EuroGA can add some insight.

I flew there myself in an Archer back in 1989 when it was still open. It was a great little airport for GA in a wonderful location. It is really a shame that politics gets in the way of promoting the local economy.

There is a pirep on eddh.de dating from 2013 indicating that it was permanently closed in October 2012, quoting a NOTAM to that effect:
1B7273LI 16/10/2012 09:45
AGAF A)TORTOLI/ARBATAX
B)16 OCT 2012 09:45 C)PERM
E)REF AIP AD2 LIET 1-1
AERODROME CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC
Q)LIRR/QFALC/IV/NBO/A /000/999/3955N00940E005

Unfortunately but not unexpectedly, there is no indication in the NOTAM of the reason.

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes, it has been closed for 10 years or so. Now, they have made some first steps towards reopening. The have moved three ultralights from a local club there. It seems the structure is now being operated as a sort of campo di volo, i.e. ultralight only. Possibly even only for the based ones.

But they say they want to reopen for general aviation (in Italy, that means everything but ultralights) in June – of this year! For next year, they are dreaming of holiday charter flights with 100-seaters…

As every such thing in Italy, it has to be taken with a grain of salt…

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/nuoro/cronaca/2021/03/03/news/via-libera-agli-ultraleggeri-l-aeroporto-apre-i-battenti-1.39981181

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It was very beautiful airport.
I used to operate there on ATR42 between Bergamo and Malpensa in 2005 I think.
One of the shortest runway for that aircraft for me.

Poland

That’s great news! The east coast of Sardinia is very attractive and Tortoli/Arbatax fits perfectly in the large aviation void between Olbia and the several small airfields in the south-east part of the island.

LSZK, Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

As every such thing in Italy, it has to be taken with a grain of salt…

Usual Mediterranean emotional way of judging the facts like here in Croatia

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Any news on the status of this airfield?

EBMO, EBKT

I contacted the airfield, no problem to land with ULM. I’ll probably pay them a visit in the next few weeks.

Last Edited by jvdo at 26 Aug 17:16
EBMO, EBKT

Awesome, would love to see photos.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Aug 17:41

They are moving towards a reopening as an official airport.
Already accessible for microlights, they are home to the local aeroclub (with two ultralights) and recently hosted a big national microlight fly-in.

According to local voices, the reopening is “imminent”. Magari, as they say. But as always in Italy, “imminent” can also mean many more years.
I have not heard any official statements from ENAC about it.

https://www.unionesarda.it/3-minuti-con/il-decollo-degli-ultraleggeri-fa-rinascere-laeroporto-k6hx1hg9

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message