Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice on Amsterdam?

if you don’t land, it’s possible?

They may not allow pop-up IFR (like in UK where you just call Gatwick & Southend out of the blue to fly the ILS that you have booked on phone)

I don’t see the reason why it’s not doable on proper flight IFR flight plan without landing (airways flight plans or whatever you like to call them ), you put 2*FPL (IFR+IFR or IFR+VFR) and ask for low approach/pass and departure clearance before or as you start the approach

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Oct 17:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

well…
Got 203 arrivals and 207 departures from Schipol in my logbook. “Flying” an airliner that is.

My opinion, and I might be totally wrong here, is that u do nobody a favour by flying into AMS. But you might get yourself an ego boost, or more. Maybe.
- you will not do a favour to ATC… they sure have enough work and excitement separating heavy traffic with similar approach speed. The requested speed, example for the 18R, is usually 220 to LOC intercept, then 160 to 4. Can you do that?
- you will not do a favour to all commercial traffic. Nowadays most flights run late, are bound by slots, etc. Having to fit a light aircraft in the system won’t help their timetable
- you will not do a favour to the airport itself. The infrastructure you will use will never be covered by the landing/handling charges as applied to your little ship
- you will not do a favour to the taxpayers and the investors. AMS has been built and continuously extended for airliner and cargo traffic, not for joyrides
- you will not do a favour to your fellow pilots and their airline. Having to reduce to ridiculously slow speed or interrupt a nicely established CDA to allow a light aircraft to fit in increases the workload, the consumption and the pollution (longer routing, early slats or even flaps required)

Hope my comments don’t sound condescending, that certainly is not the intent.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

My opinion, and I might be totally wrong here, is that u do nobody a favour by flying into AMS. But you might get yourself an ego boost, or more. Maybe.

They have Runway 22/04 for that purpose.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Wrong. 04/22 is in use for up to 737, biz jets etc.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

So why not just ban SEP?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Well, it does not contradict what he was saying – 04/22 is used for smaller a/c, not for the likes of 747/777.

EGTR

pilotrobbie wrote:

So why not just ban SEP?

:) It’s not Heathrow!

It is interesting that Farnborough appears to be substantially more expensive than Schiphol.

EGTR

pilotrobbie wrote:

If I ring ATC a free ILS can be booked? As I may need to do that for other reason on a different day :)
No, you need to pay a Eurocontrol fee for the ILS-approach, but you might be lucky by not getting any Eurocontrol invoice, in case of a go around or touch & go below 2t. In principle, just the touch & go is free of charge (no invoice from Schiphol airport), but you need to do a pre-arrangement and a Eurocontrol fee might still be in place.

pilotrobbie wrote:
When you mean no security check, you mean not like DUS which has security or no customs?
Security, customs and (border) police are all different kind of things on an airport. For sure you have border police and customs, but there is no security check at the GA terminal.

Dan wrote:
Very hard words, and I disagree. Amsterdam has even an aeroclub, operating from the airport. ATC is very accomodating. You can even come VFR without a slot, all you need is just a FPL and a handler. IFR might be a bit more “tricky” though.
Last Edited by Frans at 19 Oct 10:12
Switzerland

Worth noting that the club at Schiphol is hanging on by the skin of its teeth enjoying grandfather rights from the good old days when EHAM supported multiple clubs and schools ( I did my PPL there ) as well as at least 2 rental companies with fleets of C172s. Things have changed though – no AVGAS ( does not affect pilotrobbie ) in his DA40, compulsory handling etc etc.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

IFR might be a bit more “tricky” though

My experience it’s much more rigid on ATC side to fit slow IFR between heavy jets with separation whereas on VFR you just hold untill they have an opening for you

I don’t think Deutsch ATC allow easy change of flight rules with pop-up IFR in Class A TMA above, so probably no ILS while inbound VFR?

At the end of the day it’s worth asking as long as you are flexible and happy to take holds, orbits or curved ball instructions, also maybe ATC will also appreciate it? if they are looking for currency or mouvements? this was going to Gatwick in DA40NG in good VMC: inbound VFR, RV ILS approach flown IFR, go-around VFR and visual circuit, PAR approach IFR, departure on airways IFR, land VFR

ATC gave few wake turbulence warnings to me and TCAS reminders to CAT, so there are some limits to how much fun you can have, you may not properly breif your plates & departures

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Oct 11:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message