Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 210 Off field landing on a frozen lake Femund Fjellstue

This ist my travelogue to the Winter Airport Femund Fjellstue in Norway. You will see all stages of the flight with explanations. Join us to a spectacular land scape and winter flying experince on a frozen see. Bush flying in Europe at it best M.)

EDAZ

Very interesting flight to Hamar which is indeed a little tricky due to the upslope. Hamar is where I almost had a runway overrun on blank ice landing in the opposite direction you did. You need to be careful about the conditions there because several days can elapse between a heavy snowfall and the runway being cleared.

By the way, “perfect winter flying conditions” is sunshine! Not overcast

I do not know whether this qualifies as “bush flying”, but I do have very fond memories of winter flying in Norway during the 4 years I lived there after getting my PPL, including landing on frozen lakes at Fagernes and Vermundsjøen.

Landing on lakes is usually very simple, and I never had any difficulty identifying the “runways”, but in your case there was very little snow and therefore very little contrast between the runway and the environment.

In the winter I mostly did daytrips, so de-icing was never required.

LFPT, LFPN

Haven’t seen the whole movie yet. Will do it later. I didn’t know Femunded had opened yet. The gliding season has also started now, so I will be at ENOP towing gliders. That’s not too far from Femunded, I must take a trip this spring I hope

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Cool Video, and nice 210 also. What is the fluid at 19:20 that you guys are spraying on the wings and prop? Does it make much difference? I’ve not seen that done before.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

@Cheshunt, can you double-check the link? This one leads to a Page Not Found error.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Works for me. As an alternative you can probably google for Aero-Sense TYPE I Aircrfat de-icing fluid.

Last Edited by mh at 24 Feb 14:59
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

Works for me.

Doesn’t work for me either.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Maybe a language issue, try http://www.aero-sense.com/

EDAZ

Interesting and cool video

The last vowel in Elgå is “å”. It’s pronounced like the “a” in the English word “talk”. I don’t think ATC would have any idea where that was either though It is better to report geographic places like larger lakes, larger islands, mountain areas, large mountains, and so on (but that is hard without proper maps. Aviation moving map apps does not have this “feature” )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message