Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Somebody was actually so kind to make a little slope up to the apron so this time we could actually glide with the snowboard literally to the edge of the apron

You don’t get it this is the “fly to ski” thread not the “ski to fly” thread

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Jan 20:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

We should rename the thread to ‘Fly-to-board’
No ski’s required. Good to hear Sebastian.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 31 Jan 23:40
United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

In my experience, considering the cost of about anything in Switzerland especially food, taxi, ski resorts etc. the lading fee differences seem not to make much of a difference. LSZS is about 200 Euros for one day stay. Any non trivial taxi return ride in Switzerland will exceed that.
Yes, taxi rides are indeed extremely expensive. Luckily, most Swiss airfields have nearby public transportation. LSGS costs around 30 CHF for a one-day stay and has a bus stop, just on the other side of the railroad underpass. A ticket to Vesyonnaz (4 Vallées) costs only 12,60 CHF and you’ll arrive at the ski station in less than 60 minutes by bus. In other words: With 2 persons, you’ll still have 140 CHF left to buy 2 ski passes (70 CHF each), before you reach the value of only airport fees at Samedan.

Sure, Sion can’t offer the same snow experience compared to Samedan. However, as fly to ski destination it’s still very good and offers a great value for your money.

Sebastian_G wrote:
Somebody was actually so kind to make a little slope up to the apron so this time we could actually glide with the snowboard literally to the edge of the apron.
Very cool, that’s for sure something unique! The next level would be a plane with skis and landing on snow.

Sebastian_G wrote:
For Courchevel you can register so landing fee invoices are sent by mail. This way in summer whenever we are in the area we do a touch and go (more like a touch, 180 and go) which helps with the 6 months. But probably you need an affection for that place besides pure access to the the ski resort in winter.
Ah, that makes stuff indeed a lot easier. I’m fascinated by the place too, however, visiting it at least every 6 months is pretty ambitious. At least for me, I don’t fly that often towards France.
Last Edited by Frans at 01 Feb 09:11
Switzerland

Certainly the ski shuttle business is almost as lucrative as selling ice cream at St Marks square But with most “bus” shuttles running Sat/Sun only (lined up with nearly all airline based ski travel) you have to use a taxi of some sort if not going on those days, and then €200 is at the bottom end. That’s about Turin airport to Cervinia…

Ski passes in Italy tend to be around €270 for 5 days. Zermatt and Courchevel are probably more but I haven’t been there for years.

However €200/day parking is going to be too much for most people. I think.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But with most “bus” shuttles running Sat/Sun only (lined up with nearly all airline based ski travel) you have to use a taxi of some sort if not going on those days, and then €200 is at the bottom end.
Yes, but in my example for Vesyonnaz, you’ll just use a public bus with hourly service during the week, or every 2 hours on weekends. That’s something different compared to those special bus shuttle services.

Public transportation is extremely well organized in Switzerland. Almost all ski areas are reachable by train or bus. A transfer from LSGS to Crans-Montana by public transport takes for example 80 minutes. I’ll bet a taxi in winter is not so much faster.
Last Edited by Frans at 01 Feb 09:53
Switzerland

I meant the skis on the RH side of this pic, not the ones on the LH side

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Frans wrote:

The next level would be a plane with skis and landing on snow.

We did actually ski over to Méribel altiport which is covered in snow (does that count as a log book entry LFLJ to LFKX by ski):

But the reality of the fly to ski is that no realistic aircraft can land on snow and travel 480NM to our home base in 2-3 hours with the ski gear etc.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

fly2SkiCounter2023++;

On the way to LSZS with a little tailwind and the pilot pushing the nose down for descent. Fortunately the wind did die down completely until we reached the mountain tops, else the turbulence could have been quite exciting.

Very empty slopes at the Corvatsch resort:

Not much going on at the ticket counter either:

On the LSZS apron, just 2 planes on the snow parking:

A few observations:
- Out first fly to ski on a Monday in a long time. If you can go from Monday to Thursday, everything is just so much more relaxed at the airport, on the slopes, in the restaurant etc.
- The political situation seems to have changed the type of traffic at LSZS. We saw a lot less intercontinental jets while the medium and small jets seem to be still there.
- Our first visit to the Corvatsch resort while we had been to Corviglia on all previous visits to LSZS. We did like it a lot but like Courchevel it is a little more orientated to the north so better go to Corvatsch later in the season starting now with the sun up higher and stick to Corviglia around new year.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Mondays outside school holidays are always pretty quiet in the Swiss Alps. Glad you enjoyed it! The quietness on the slopes will change now, as the first Swiss schools have “Sportferien” (Sport holidays), starting from today.

What did you pay for parking fees?

Sebastian_G wrote:

We saw a lot less intercontinental jets while the medium and small jets seem to be still there.
I’ve seen still a lot of Gulfstreams a few weeks ago (on a sunday), but indeed, the typical rich Russian visitors are gone.
Last Edited by Frans at 13 Feb 12:34
Switzerland

Sebastian_G wrote:

On the way to LSZS with a little tailwind and the pilot pushing the nose down for descent.

370KTS! So which kind of hidden jet engine have you engineered onto your Meridian @Sebastian_G ;?

Did you take a selfie of your grin at the time? Probably as meaningful as the display of GS…

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message