Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

That looks wonderful Thanks for posting that.

I never did the Bolzano → Madonna to ski (can’t do Trento from the UK; no immigration etc) but went to Bolzano and that was a nice place too. The parking issues are doable I think if one asks them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All in all a great experience sharing with the kids what GA can do for them :)

Lovely trip, looks like the weekend was a blast !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Just adding to the parking issues: During winter time they have a Notam about parking restrictions on tarmac, grass is always available.
As far as I heard they want to put concrete on most of the grass in the coming months, so that should help for the future as well. :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Yup, few things more fulfilling than putting family and GA together, thx! Maybe next time I’ll look deeper at Bolzano!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Another fly to ski at LFLJ this saturday. There was perfect weather and also not so cold. This time we did an overnight stop at LFMD inbound as it is not so far and did offer good hotels deals on short notice. The return flight then was direct from LFLJ to EDAZ. This time we saw a Bonanza also doing a fly to ski trip. A first, usually we just see people flying in and out of such places without actual ski gear.

Jetfly was super busy with their PC12 fleet. They had 3 planes in a line waiting for passengers.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Well done! That is indeed a proper fly-to-ski!

My preferred altiport next to a ski resort is presently looking like this:

Time to figure how to put skis on the 210?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

They ought to fit inside, surely? My skis are 154cm (too short for me, according to all the “experts”, but I like them) and easily fit diagonally across the luggage compartment of the TB20, and a C210 has way more room. More here.

I was thinking about this fly2ski plan… We should do it so non-skiers feel welcome too. Many people fly and not ski (obviously) and many just like the snow scenery. Especially older people often do not ski; not safe for bone density reasons. This unfortunately reduces suitable destinations a bit, but not much. Still plenty of places to hang out, and do trips to nearby locations.

Cervinia and surrounding areas are bad right now. Strong winds strip off any new snow, leaving ice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Antonio wrote:

Time to figure how to put skis on the 210?

The plane to the right barely visible in the picture was in fact a C210 (Silver Eagle).

Peter wrote:

We should do it so non-skiers feel welcome too.

I know people are afraid of the special training flight at LSZS but I would rate it the number one “fly to snow” for non skiers. You can walk to the Muottas Muragl train and go up the mountain without ski and enjoy a day in the snow with great views.

Antonio wrote:

My preferred altiport next to a ski resort is presently looking like this:

Yes that seems to be the issue with many places. Courchevel seems to be among the very few who put serious effort into clearing the snow asap.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

I know people are afraid of the special training flight at LSZS but I would rate it the number one “fly to snow” for non skiers. You can walk to the Muottas Muragl train and go up the mountain without ski and enjoy a day in the snow with great views.
Absolutely, Samedan is a fantastic “fly to snow” destination, but as you already mentioned, the mandatory familiarization flight will be a huge show-stopper for first-timers or pilots who haven’t been there for the last 2 years (except for flight instructors, which only need to pass the online test). Another argument against Samedan for a fly-in: High international landing and parking fees, plus the PPR requirement, when parking for more than 1 hour.

Sion (LSGS) might be a better alternative, which is extremely GA-friendly with one of the lowest landing and parking fees in Switzerland. There is however almost never snow down in the main Rhône valley, so in order to see some snow, you need a ride with a taxi or public transportation. Also skiing in Veysonnaz, Crans-Montana, Verbier, Saas Fee or Zermatt is not cheap at all… In the end, you’ll be better out in France, Italy or Austria. Also, Switzerland is not a destination for ULM-pilots among us.

Sebastian_G wrote:
Another fly to ski at LFLJ this saturday. There was perfect weather and also not so cold. This time we did an overnight stop at LFMD inbound as it is not so far and did offer good hotels deals on short notice. The return flight then was direct from LFLJ to EDAZ.
Great you’ve been to Courchevel, I’ll guess more “fly to ski” isn’t possible! How do you keep your site authorization active? Do you manage to visit Courchevel every 6 months?
Last Edited by Frans at 31 Jan 14:41
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

the mandatory familiarization flight will be a huge show-stopper for first-timers

True but with the latest regulations where you can meet the instructor even after landing or take along basically any flight instructor it became much easier. Those not going do not know what they miss ;-)

Frans wrote:

Sion (LSGS) might be a better alternative, which is extremely GA-friendly with one of the lowest landing and parking fees in Switzerland.

In my experience, considering the cost of about anything in Switzerland especially food, taxi, ski resorts etc. the lading fee differences seem not to make much of a difference. LSZS is about 200 Euros for one day stay. Any non trivial taxi return ride in Switzerland will exceed that.

Frans wrote:

plus the PPR requirement, when parking for more than 1 hour.

True but seems not to be a big issue in about 15 years I have never been denied parking. Usually the problem probably comes up if the snow parking area is messed up. But then the ski slope is messed up as well and we do not want to fly in anyway ;-)

Frans wrote:

How do you keep your site authorization active?

For Courchevel you can register so landing fee invoices are sent by mail. This way in summer whenever we are in the area we do a touch and go (more like a touch, 180 and go) which helps with the 6 months. But probably you need an affection for that place besides pure access to the the ski resort in winter.

Frans wrote:

I’ll guess more “fly to ski” isn’t possible!

Somebody was actually so kind to make a little slope up to the apron so this time we could actually glide with the snowboard literally to the edge of the apron.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message