Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

The Big Q is what kind of skiing is reasonably reachable from Lausanne.

Lausanne itself is a nice place. We had a meet-up there a few years ago. This is another way to look at this. Not everybody wants to ski

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Not everybody wants to ski

Actually we once did a non ski winter day trip to Samedan with passengers who can not ski. There is a mountain called Muottas Muragl within walking distance (30min) of the airport. A very scenic place where you can walk at 2500m in the snow with incredible views. Just beware of the sleigh run. That one is not for beginners.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter wrote:

The Big Q is what kind of skiing is reasonably reachable from Lausanne.
Villars-Gryon-Les Diablerets, Glacier 3000 or Portes du Soleil for example. It takes 1 hour by car to Villars or Gryon, or just 1,5 hours by public transportation. The ski area is really nice and you have a bus transfer between Diablerets and Glacier 3000. The train goes straight into the ski area and slopes, just like Wengen (Jungfrau Region). There are also quite a few ski-in, ski-out accommodations.

If VFR conditions apply and you’re fine with 700 m grass runway, you can also land at Bex (LSGB), which is even much closer to those ski areas. Customs is free of charge, but only for Intra-Schengen flights. As snow is not often a topic down in the main valley, the airfield is open all year round.
Last Edited by Frans at 02 Dec 08:55
Switzerland

Cervinia has plenty of snow now

Administrator

I went on flying trip to Alps, I landed in Annemasse (LFLI) and rented car via OuiCar app, I agreed with the host to get it delivered & returned to airport (then drop him & me back at convenient place), then drove to visit family in Lausanne before coming back to meet up with friends in Avoriaz

Morzine is 1h car drive from Annemasse then 15min in télésiège to Avoriaz

Avoriaz was fully booked for the whole week between Xmas and Nye, so we end up staying in Morzine, I highly recommend les Prodins for staying or eating: “hotel & restaurant” sits conveniently near cable car station from Morzine to Avoriaz

The weather was very warm this year: 0C at 6000ft, ideal for flying but not skiing: only Avoriaz has snow but plenty of it !

Annemasse

Annecy

Les Prodins

Cars are not allowed in Avoriaz, everyone parks in Morzine

enjoying the free ride

Some connoisseurs will know the place

No cars back to horses (like Zermatt)

Looks fun but no idea WTF was this dance & music was about

The village

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Jan 08:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That looks very nice. I flew to Annecy when I first started skiing in 2015/16 and went to Grand Bornand. That worked out very well (and unlike Annemasse is still accessible from the UK) but GB was not a great place to ski for various reasons.

It has been quite warm, favouring higher altitude locations. Cervinia looks good, with temps well below zero on the mountain.

Administrator

Yes this end of year was exceptionally very warm: no snow in Mt Saleve, not much over Jura or toward Lausanne and nothing in Morizine…

Cervinia is slightly deeper in Alps, so it keeps temps very low from southerly winds, slightly further, Bormio in Italy had 2022 ski olympics this week in an ideal CAVOK cold weather !

I went to Avoriaz about 25 years ago. Cars aren’t permitted in the village, so anything heavy is moved around on horse-drawn sleds. It’s very pretty but if there’s no fresh snow then the village is basically paved with a mixture of snow and horse droppings. It took a long while before I got all the little bits of well-chewed grass off my boots!

Last Edited by johnh at 01 Jan 11:37
LFMD, France

Yes it’s horse only in Avoriaz, however, it is still convenient to park in Morzine, take the télésiège and “push your stuff”

I was in Zermatt while ago, same no ICE cars are allowed nearby (maybe since 1970, even before 1987 “climat change”), these days people can sneak with EV like Teslas but you have to park it inside and take EV taxis

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Jan 12:27

It’s funny how skiers vary

• Some are happy anywhere. I suspect these are younger people and very good skiers.
  • Some want a ski-in / ski-out apartment, for maximum convenience. Having had that in Cervinia, I fully see that one But it usually costs €€€€€. In a lot of places I’ve been to it would cost ~5k/week!
  • Many want a good apres-ski scene; for many this is the whole point of a ski holiday
  • Some want black runs; everything lesser is “you would need tailwind to make it worthwhile”
  • Many (an amazing % actually) go to the same place year after year, booking the accommodation 1 year ahead (not possible with GA)
  • Many want a late-cancellation option (not a commonly available thing, but there are some)
  • For a fly to ski one needs to be able to find accommodation at short notice, or with easy cancellation.

Not easy to make all these holes in the cheese line up

Administrator
Sign in to add your message