Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Brindisi next week - AvGas stop on Adriatic coast

Yes but the airport needs to be open. If the airport is open which means it attended its easy to get gas. Id like to go to an airport that has gas but because it is a holiday is closed (unattended) it would be nice to land fill up and go or grab a cab and stay.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Yes but the airport needs to be open. If the airport is open which means it attended its easy to get gas. Id like to go to an airport that has gas but because it is a holiday is closed (unattended) it would be nice to land fill up and go or grab a cab and stay.

There are airports like that, too. ESOW is an example.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A typical public airport in Germany is not closed because of a holiday. There are exceptions though, like mine was closed for two days Christmas, but the other 363 days it’s open.
I don’t think that’s an unacceptable restriction.

But, whatever: Yes, Flying is more regulated in Europe than in the USA. Better get used to it :-)

FANO LIDF has AVGAS. Expensive compared to Dubrivnik , but no landing fees. Good food at the Restaurant.

EDTQ / Sarentino

Wel, the trip turned out to be very fun and in the end I got the cheapest AvGas I’ve ever seen in many years : 1.70€ @ Bastia !

Brindisi fess turned out to be reasonable, all things considered, @ 110€ for handling, filing, coffee, drinks magazines landing & TO and 1 pax tax.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Flyer59 wrote:

A typical public airport in Germany is not closed because of a holiday. There are exceptions though, like mine was closed for two days Christmas, but the other 363 days it’s open.
I don’t think that’s an unacceptable restriction.

I think EDMA was also closed but not sure and cant find out right now.

Why close at all? Do they roll up the concrete? Why does it need to be manned?

KHTO, LHTL

They do roll u the concrete. Its a machine doing that invented by the Hitler regime called “Flugleiterzwang”. One of the most stipidest inventions for flying, one of the best to kill GA.

EDTQ / Sarentino

Another is, why cant there be self service pumps?

There are lots of self-serve pumps, but varies a lot by country. Total has France well-covered, but need a Total card. Price is great … €1.7437 TTC at the moment all over France except Corsica €1.514
Total stations
They are also common in Scandinavia, using std credit cards.

In both cases usable even if no one at the airport … tanked via cc at Mariehamm FI in 2014, even in/out from/to Sweden while airport unmanned on a holiday. Flt plan opened with ATC. I fill up regularly w Total in Amboise LFEF with no staff in sight, only pilots & planes coming & going… and they even have pilot-controlled lighting.

Last Edited by chflyer at 08 Jan 14:02
LSZK, Switzerland

Its not just about self serve pumps but why does an airport close?

Ans because people need to go home or its not economical to staff an airport late at night.

Q why does it need to be staffed?

Ans So they can collect landing and overnight fees.

Q Why cant you automate landing fees?

A We set up a system that is too complicated to be automated. Plus we want people to work but not spend too much money on them otherwise we wont turn a profit.

Ok so self serve pumps are immaterial since someone has to be there anyway. Otherwise the airport is closed and you cant use the self serve pumps.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer

Hey, why are you trying to make yourself unhappy with all the compromises GA has in Europe compared to the US? Don’t you think that will destroy all the fun? There’s a lot of stuff American pilot’s will never have!

- Reach + 20 countries all within 3 hours of flight
- Visit many different cultures in no time!
- You can fly to France!
- Land on 1500 feet runways and tell it to your US friends! ;-)
- Enjoy the great German ATC service and ATC all over Europe that speaks your language!
- (The IFR approach to EDMS is only € 4.90) ;-))

Why do you only care about the downsides?

Sign in to add your message