Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vienna - Austria, LOAV, LOWW

Starting a second thread to not go off topic in the fly-in thread to much, regarding the question by @Aviathor .

I am actually from the Vienna Area and flying from LOAV (Vöslau). Therefore I know LOAV best, and also LOXN but this one is not an option being a military field which is not open to the general public. One guy on here is also from LOAN and might be able to add more insights on that and a different perspective. ;) @blueline

There are quite a few GA fields in the Vienna Area, so I am going to list your options:

LOWW

• Busy international airport with everything you would expect from that, ILS and so on of course. Massive landing+handling fees (about 200 Eur plus parking), which is the reason why I don’t know anyone who has recently flown there in a SEP plane.
    Might be an option if the weather is sufficiently bad. But I would also consider Bratislava LZIB in that case, there is a direct train connection to LOWW and Vienna from there (approx 1h to Vienna).
  • Best public transport connection to Vienna (about 20min per Train or Bus, use the normal railway and not the CAT, its like a few minutes faster but quite a bit more expensive)
  • Slot required for IFR
  • Parking might be hard to arrange

LOAV

My new home field, so I know that one best, maybe a bit biased here

• Larger GA field with 950m bitumen runway, customs+immigration, night and public with opening hours from 0900lcl to 2030lcl each day. IFR Approach (RNAV GNSS) available but might be of limited use with a MDA of 1770ft, which is a height of 1000ft. No instrument departure, Z flightplan only. Fees for landing in the order of 15-35 Eur, (depending on the plane weight and on weekends on the noise category).
  • Public transport into Vienna is possible but a bit more involved, cheapest way is cab to the train station (about 10-15 Eur one way) and then with the train to Vienna. (In total about 45-60m) or directly with the cab to Vienna (have heard about it being 40 Eur one way, but I can not really confirm that number)
  • Parking on the Apron will be easy to arrange and not terribly expensive, hangar might be harder to come by.
  • A bit of a complicated traffic pattern, requires sufficient briefing beforehand than its not an issue. You don’t have to be crazy precise as is the case in some parts of Germany but the reason for that pattern is of course noise abatement and issues with the people living close to the field.

LOAN

• Also a larger GA field, 1067m bitumen runway, night. Also has an RNAV GNSS approach with a MDA of 1870ft. Otherwise the same as above applies.
  • Further south of Vienna, similar travel arrangements required, I think there is no really good public transport connection from the field to the train station.
  • Also make sure to follow the procedures as laid out in the Jepp/AIP charts.
  • Generally not open after ECET, might be an issue this time of the year, but possible to arrange one day prior PPR with additional fees.

LOAU

• Somewhat smaller GA field, 800m day only. No instr. approach.
  • About the same distance to Vienna as LOAV, also no direct public transport into the city and might be actually a bit more complicated than LOAV and LOAN.
  • PPR open till 30min before ECET.

LOAS

• 700m grass, smaller field.
  • Quite good public transport options to Vienna
  • PPR, open till ECET

Concerning LOWS: Never been there myself, but know plenty of people who’ve been there. Is generally GA friendly, can be mighty busy during winter season. In that time of year parking might be hard to arrange (there was an article about that once). If you are only going there for a day trip you might also consider visiting the Red Bull Hangar 7 directly at the field. They can also arrange parking for you at their private apron if you contact them in advance.
Landing fees in the order of (25-50 Eur).

If you have any further questions about the fields, or Vienna just write a message.

All the best
Fabian

Last Edited by fabian at 13 Dec 11:56
Fly for your dreams
LOAV

Thanks @fabian . I saw a report stating that someone paid 211 € in fees at LOWW 4 years ago. Not quite sure what kind of airplane, but may have been a Jetprop. I was therefore considering LOAV if weather permits, but I need to get out of there on January 2nd… So the absence of an IFR departure does concern me. I wonder whether it would be possible to arrange a departure clearance prior to take-off.

On my way to the Vienna area I will visit Salzburg (LOWS) and was also thinking of Graz (LOWG).

BTW when you refer to a user name like @Aviathor, you do not want to put a period at the end otherwise the link does not work like @Aviathor.

LFPT, LFPN

Fabian,

Thanks.

One point: there are – fairly frequent and quick (34 minutes)- trains from Stockerau to Vienna. I plan to use Stockerau next time I go to Vienna. For those coming from Germany, it’s perfectly in the right spot.

Stockerau station is only 3 km from the airfield – walkable if need be.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Dec 12:30
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for the compilation @fabian .

While not posting a lot recently, may I add that LOAU (Stockerau) has a courtesy car available. OTOH, they are very limited in hard surface parking and hangar space, so one should definitely call ahead.

LOAS (Spitzerberg) is a nice laid-back grass airfield, but absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Someone needs to give you a lift to get to public transport. I guess taxis (if available at all) are very expensive due to the long drive to get there. Especially in winter, the runway conditions can be prohibitive for all but the most sturdy aircraft.

From LOAN (Wiener Neustadt) to Vienna, it’s 10 or 15 minutes more by train than from LOAV (Vöslau). Taxi fees to the station should be comparable. Both LOAN and LOAV are professional fields with quite a lot of traffic and among the busiest GA installations in Austria.

@Aviathor: If departing on a Z flightplan with an IFR pickup point nearby, the “Flugleiter” in LOAN or LOAV will coordinate with Vienna Radar and already give you the sqawk. He cannot give you the proper clearance, but you contact Radar (128,2) immediately after departure and they clear you. So no issue procedure-wise, but you need sufficient visibility/ceiling for the takeoff.

Last Edited by blueline at 13 Dec 13:43
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

You are welcome. :)

Regarding Stockerau: Yes thats right, and it is probably the shortest train ride into town after LOWW, also depends a little where in Vienna you want to go. For that Stockerau is nice. One thing to consider is that it sometimes has quite strong crosswinds due to runway direction vs. prevalent wind directions with supposedly strong turbulence from a local forest and buildings on the field. But I would say that it is not a major issue unless you get gusts of 30kts plus, not that uncommon though.

Should you end up at LOAV anyways: The distance to the train station is also 2.6km with somewhat frequent connections (every 30min). Wiener Neustadt is similar with sometimes faster train connections (it is a railway station with intercity/international connections).

@Aviathor thanks for the hint with the username. Regarding the IFR departure clearance: It is currently not possible AFAIK, but you could/should call Wien Radar on the phone and prearrange the clearance, still need an IFR pickup in the air. The version with IFR clearance obtained on the ground is actually in planing, but at what time this is going to happen, who knows. Also in that case IFR only starts when passing a certain flightlevel, which is more of an issue with no SID.

211 Eur for LOWW would be what I would expect with a small SEP plane (<2t). Regarding parking I also just checked the published fees, would expect at least 33 Eur per day. Maybe more. Plus 17.39 Eur for each Pax.
Whole list of fees: http://www.viennaairport.com/jart/prj3/va/uploads/data-uploads/Charges%20Regulations%202015.pdf
Additionally to those I think you have to pay handling fees, which get the landing fee of 116 Eur + Pax fees + Fueling fees up above 200 Eur.

Last Edited by fabian at 13 Dec 13:49
Fly for your dreams
LOAV

blueline wrote:

If departing on a Z flightplan with an IFR pickup point nearby, the “Flugleiter” in LOAN or LOAV will coordinate with Vienna Radar and already give you the sqawk. He cannot give you the proper clearance, but you contact Radar (128,2) immediately after departure and they clear you. So no issue procedure-wise, but you need sufficient visibility/ceiling for the takeoff.

Exactly what I needed. Thanks. Having the squawk (startup clearance) before departure is helpful because it reduces the time to get the IFR clearance.

LFPT, LFPN

LOWS require PPR on Saturdays due to limited parking. I called and obtained a PPR number for arriving on the late afternoon of 26/12.

I called LOWG too. They have absolutely no problem with parking capacity and will provide an estimate of the fees for 2 days.

Wrt Vienna I called LOAV. They do not have any issues with parking either. I am however worried about getting stuck and unable to depart, so I will most probably opt for Bratislava where there is less chance of not being able to depart, that do not seem to require a slot and which have good transportation to Vienna, and is more reasonably priced than LOWW.

LFPT, LFPN

LOWS and LOWI are the only Austrian airports with parking restrictions in winter, due to their proximity to the big skiing areas.

Whether you fly to LZIB or one of the airfields near Vienna, if weather is sufficient you should fly the low level VFR route along the Danube. You’ll have great views of the inner city of Vienna, while being barely higher than the new skyscrapers on the northern bank of the river. Depending on traffic at LOWW, you may either have to return to Klosterneuburg and circumfly the CTR from there or you may be granted a midfield crossing of LOWW and then a direct to your destination.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

The bus between BTS and VIE is said to be convenient:
http://www.postbus.at/en/International_lines/index.jsp

always learning
LO__, Austria

Any update to the recommendations/situation described in this thread seven years ago?

The AIP for LOAV says “The PIC is responsible for (…) transmission of actual time of departure (ATD) and for ‘Closing of the FLight Plan’”. What does that mean concretely? The guys on the INFO frequency 118.605 will not do it, or “it is our responsibility to confirm with them they did it”? (It is not an A/A frequency, there is someone on the ground on it, right?)

Foreflight shows a “Clearance Delivery” frequency of 118.23, that’s a bit suspicious for a VFR aerodrome, even it has a SID starting “only” 4km/2nmi from the aerodrome… Or does this mean I would get the “full route” IFR clearance already on the ground (with IFR starting only passing AV807/1400ft)?

ELLX
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message