Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Local trip

Did a short trip up in the mountains towards the Swedish border. It’s about 20-30 min with a Cub from my home airport, depending on the route. Øyan at Meråker. It’s advised to take a low pass over the runway to look for/scare off moose before landing. Real Cub flying at it’s best, although the runway is large enough for most small airplanes, 600 m from end to end.

It’s also a test to see if I can manage to get some pictures in here.

Last Edited by LeSving at 11 May 20:27
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeS no luck on posting the pictures – at least I can’t see them.

…standby, now it has appeared, good to see a Super Cub (an L18C?) in its natural environment!

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 11 May 20:29
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes, L-18C in its “original” colors and markings from the Army. It was made in 1953 and used by the Army until 1992. Then they were “given” to clubs with the constraints of keeping them airworthy, as original as possible and not sold. This also mean hand start Judging by your name, you have one ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeS mine is a 1951 ex ALAT but in US Army Air Corp livery. There is an L21B in French colours on the G register, owned by a Frenchman, but in the UK most ex artillery observer Pipers carrying an exemption to be in military markings are in USA markings.

I found mine abandoned in a hangar in Ireland, and other than a modern com and transponder it is unmolested with a C90-8F, no gyros, no electrics, no starter (other than of the Armstrong variety). Empty weight is under 900 lbs, and it has the long range, or more appropriately, long endurance, wing tanks.

It’s military service was in the artillery observer schools, and also at the mountain flying school, where it would have lived on skis. Some served in Algeria, and two of the Turkish L18C were lost in action in Korea. I think thought once was given to fitting willy petes which is not the smartest innovation for a fabric aircraft!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message