Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corsica - Which airport ?

Can we get a hire car at Propriano airfield?

I didn’t, but I’m sure it isn’t a problem. There is no shortage on rental cars on the island. A taxi to the city was € 20 or so…

EBST, Belgium

I second Figari – we went there last year for the Tour de France. GA facilities are top of the line, various car rental is right at the field, people are friendly (well.. for France), fuel is cheap. The best beaches are in easy driving distance. We were parked on the grass and were advised that we should have PPR’d for hard parking.

EDLN and EDKB

If you are into golfing, or enjoy, small beautiful (caribean-style) beaches, go to Figari. The Sperone Golf Course must be one of the most beautiful in Europe. The adjacent beaches are like paradise.

Agree that the condition of Propriano airfield is quite a disaster. Also, the way to the beach isn’t totally trivial (unless walking down the runway).

Calvi is quite good. Nice beach and a decent town. Taxi is 20 Euros.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 May 19:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

(before anybody says it I know there is no fuel at Carca, pain in the bum!)

Interesting. I had no problem refueling (and paying in cash) in summer 2011. The guy at the fuel pump gave me a pair of “avgas only” stickers and insisted i had to glue them on the wings before the next refueling (which never happened), because he “wasn’t allowed to fuel planes without stickers”

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I was in Carcassonne the week before last and still no fuel for visiting aircraft despite having an Air Total fuel station!

I have been in correspondence with the airfield management and they tell me its something to do with the fuel station being next to the training apron???

He reckons fuel available by the end of the year but don’t hold your breath, we always call in at Limoges on the way down and fuel up their, only an hour down to Carcassonne then and we end up with 4+ hours in the tanks.

BTW. thanks for all the great info on Corsica, really appreciated and helpful…

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Hi Phil,

Pretty much the same recommendations as the others:
Calvi is fine and GA friendly. Avgas available on request (I think it’s BP). Just request it to the tower and the truck will come over.
Bastia: never been there.
Ajaccio: avoid! (unless you have connections with the local club). I stopped there last summer to refuel during lunch break and had to wait for 1 and a half hour at the gas station before the guy showed up. I paid more than 30€, only to wait at the petrol station.
Figari: lovely and affordable. See my report ;-). Check the NOTAMs, PPRs are usually requested in summer because the parking lot can be crowdy.

In any case, I always take poles and ropes to tie the aircraft down. It can be pretty windy and both in Calvi and Ajaccio I’ve always been parked on grass. I would also recommend entering the crossing points in your GPS (MERLU, LONSU, OMARD and Co…), even if they can be located using STP and AJA VORs.

Regards

LFNR

Thanks Aboule, good tips !

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message