Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Luxembourg ELLX as a GA destination

We were there in 2019 by car (road trip but weather was low IFR anyway).
I found the city center is worth a few hours of visit. My wife less so.

Enjoy your new rating !

LFOU, France

lionel wrote:

Unless you organise informal “handling” by a local pilot or club into apron P5 (which would include access to a self-serve pay by credit card 100LL pump, but no way to uplift Jet A1), you need PPR and handling by the airport into apron P2.

See https://airports.euroga.org/search.php?icao=ELLX

I see you Parked on Apron P5? Who did you arrange with? How did you arrange this when you visited? Did you uplift JetA1? I can return fuel, no problem as only x2 POB.

Jujupilote wrote:

We were there in 2019 by car (road trip but weather was low IFR anyway).
I found the city center is worth a few hours of visit. My wife less so.

Enjoy your new rating !

I am hopefully my new passport arrives by this weekend, so I can visit. I’ve been before and it’s great, but only had a few hours. Doing an overnight trip this time is the plan :)

Thanks!

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Some time ago, I had contact with someone from the admin-staff of ELLX, regarding parking and refueling on P5. They said it would only be possible with a personal account, which you can obtain, starting from 6 or more visits to ELLX per year. Below this “threshold” of 6 visits, it’s not possible to get a customer account, and therefore, handling on P2 would be necessary. The only inofficial “exemption” would be indeed asking someone from the aeroclub for the “handling” on a private occasion. Maybe @lionel would “handle” us EuroGA-pilots?

Last Edited by Frans at 13 Sep 20:56
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

Some time ago, I had contact with someone from the admin-staff of ELLX, regarding parking and refueling on P5. They said it would only be possible with a personal account, which you can obtain, starting from 6 or more visits to ELLX per year. Below this “threshold” of 6 visits, it’s not possible to get a customer account, and therefore, handling on P2 would be necessary. The only inofficial “exemption” would be indeed asking someone from the aeroclub for the “handling” on a private occasion. Maybe @lionel would “handle” us EuroGA-pilots?

How much is handling on P2? I am keen on the visit, but not 3000000 euros! Also depends on the aircraft coming back from MX and my passport arriving. The cheese needs to align here.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Frans wrote:

Maybe @lionel would “handle” us EuroGA-pilots?

If the stars align, sure… Someone I at least vaguely know from reading a few EuroGA posts, I’m not busy on something else at that day and time (weekdays: work, weekends: flying), …

ELLX

pilotrobbie wrote:

How much is handling on P2?

I’m not exactly sure, but I expect more than 100 EUR, but less than 300 EUR. Why don’t you ask the Business Aviation Centre to be sure? Linked from https://airports.euroga.org/search.php?icao=ELLX

ELLX

lionel wrote:

I’m not exactly sure, but I expect more than 100 EUR, but less than 300 EUR. Why don’t you ask the Business Aviation Centre to be sure? Linked from https://airports.euroga.org/search.php?icao=ELLX

I’d pay 100 EUR, but not 300 EUR. I’ll drop them email, but I am keen to understand how you managed P5 and not P2 (Airline stands?)

My passport is on it’s way at least…

EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I am keen to understand how you managed P5 and not P2

I’m based in ELLX and rent a hangar on P6.

Frans wrote:

Some time ago, I had contact with someone from the admin-staff of ELLX, regarding parking and refueling on P5. They said it would only be possible with a personal account, which you can obtain, starting from 6 or more visits to ELLX per year. Below this “threshold” of 6 visits, it’s not possible to get a customer account, and therefore, handling on P2 would be necessary.

Getting an account would allow you to do a fuel stop at P5 for 100LL only at the self-serve fuel pump. Without handling, you wouldn’t get Jet fuel, and you wouldn’t be able to exit, or reenter, the airport (the airside).

Also, “some time ago” sounds like it was before the introduction of a landing and take-off fee for sub-2t. The “account” mentioned in the exchange is likely the account at the national ANSP (a state administration) to pay the terminal fee. Since a few months, sub-2t also pay a landing and take-off fee to the airport company (a commercial private company law company, wholly owned by the state). I’m not sure how keen the airport company is to open an account for non-based aircraft.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

I’m not sure how keen the airport company is to open an account for non-based aircraft.

I think not very keen. I have such an account but since all the handling madness it is no longer usefull. I was only able to open it because one of my contacts seemed to be friends with the person in charge of those accounts.

The main issue of all those troubles seemed to be total confusion about where to park on P5 for refueling. Nobody said where a good place would be and then everybody like air ambulance, police helicopters etc. complained. Obviously the motivation for all of this was low jet fuel prices. At maybe 1/3 the price or so of airports nearby in Germany all training flights with bigger airraft etc. went to ELLX and the flight was basically free if you did tanker enough fuel.

Regarding ELLX as a destination we did that only once and from the current reports total airport cost is probably close to 200 Euro. But also the rest is not cheap either. A taxi into town is also expensive. Overall I would say about Swiss prices. If you are just looking for a destination for a first ever flight to mainland Europe why not take Antwerp EBAW? Also not too far from the UK, quite cheap JetA1, lower fees and probably a bit easier overall.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Nobody said where a good place would be and then everybody like air ambulance, police helicopters etc. complained.

Based aircraft got instructions in the form of an official ground procedure (not published in the AIP); any other aircraft authorised to Jet fuel on P5 should have gotten the same instructions. In terms of the current “ADPC Apron 5”, it is pre-flight check position W02 (not marked on the ground as such; the second one on track 060, before the one for helicopters on P5 West.

Sebastian_G wrote:

A taxi into town is also expensive.

The bus is free, like all public transport nation-wide.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message