Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LSPG Kägiswil endangered by closure

Some sad news from Switzerland. The little airfield Kägiswil (LSPG), with a 780 m asphalt runway located in Central Switzerland, is currently endangered of closure. After I heard this information from a non-flying local, I also saw a topic on the Swiss flight forum on this matter with a similar source. It seems that not so many people are aware of the current status, even the Swiss aeroclub (AeCS) is not talking much about the matter in public, and AOPA Switzerland is also extremely quiet.

Currently, Kägiswil (which is not part of the Swiss AIP or VFR manual) is going through a conversion process from a former military airfield towards a licensed civil airfield. This process needs to be finished by the end of this year. If not, the airfield seems to getting closed. This is extremely sad, as it is the only real GA field in the neighborhood, since Alpnach, Emmen and Meiringen are strictly military only, and Buochs (LSZC) is for Pilatus and business aviation. Kägiswil has also quite a few active flying clubs, covering both powered flying and gliding.

Back in 2013, the local communities/residents saved the airfield in a referendum with a big majority (62,4%) for getting sold towards the canton. This was understood as a clear support in favor of the airfield’s existence. Nonetheless, it seems that the conversion process is now getting stuck and that might be the end of this beautiful pearl in the Swiss Alps.

Maybe someone else from Switzerland has more information on this matter? It seems that the topic on the Swiss forum doesn’t get feedback, however, it seems pretty serious. Let’s hope the opposite!

Public sources (German language):
https://www.nau.ch/ort/sarnen/obwalden-hat-vorbehalte-zur-umnutzung-des-flugplatzes-in-kagiswil-66100747
https://sp-obwalden.ch/2022/12/11/informatikstrategie/
https://www.aeczs.ch/downloads/aeczs/2022_Jahresbericht_AeCZS.pdf

Last Edited by Frans at 30 May 15:49
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

the Swiss aeroclub (AeCS) is not talking much about the matter in public, and AOPA Switzerland is also extremely quiet

Oooh, what a surprise.

Well, that would be quite a loss indeed. Beautiful settings, right on the edge of the Alps, and I know a few good guys with their pride & joy stationed there… it is the first I hear about it, and I hope there will be a petition to save the field.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Yes, it’s indeed a beautiful place, with many friendly people down there. The field is also a great destination for Lucerne, as the train station is just a few minutes walk away with direct connections every 30 minutes. Even Buochs doesn’t have such a great connection, but most business visitors there might prefer taxis anyways.

The possible loss of this field would be extremely sad for Swiss GA. I do hope the AeCZS (Aeroclub of Central-Switzerland, as part of the AeCS) can provide more information during their general assembly in 2 weeks. At least some critical questions should be asked. Especially why everything is so silent… If the rumors are correct, fast action and a petition is surely needed.

Switzerland

It would be a real pity if Kägiswil were to close. I still haven’t visited it yet so I’d better hurry… But I still hope they manage to avoid the closure. I think it’s pretty clear in the current political climate that once an airfield is closed, it will never open again, so we have to do what we can to keep the airfields that we have from being closed.

As a side note, Buochs is accessible for GA, provided you make a PPR request and stick to the tower opening times. If you’re not domiciled at the field you must use ATC and if they have to open the tower for you they’ll charge you ~ 400 CHF. Otherwise it’s ok-ish, paid something like 38 CHF for landing last year with a DA-20.

LSZF,LSZK, Switzerland

Yes, as a domiciled pilot in Buochs myself, you’re absolutely right. Because the tower is closed after 5 pm, and on weekends + holidays for the whole day, I consider Buochs more or less “off limits” for GA. Unfortunately, the airport may also not facilitate any aeroclubs, except for the local sailplane group. So moving all clubs from Kägiswil to Buochs in case of closure, will not be possible. The airport employees in Buochs are very friendly though. They try to welcome GA as much as they can, but their options are limited, due strict operational regulations and fees.

Let’s hope indeed that Kägiswil will somehow be saved. If they manage to get the license as civil airfield, the runway gets fully renovated like what in Münster (LSPU) happened a few years ago. I’m very keen to hear more soon.

Last Edited by Frans at 02 Jun 15:52
Switzerland

Do they need any help with marketing? I’m volunteering (no cost involved).

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

Very nice little airport. I have several landings there – really beautiful area. The approach over the lake and the village is impressive.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Laurent_N wrote:

Do they need any help with marketing? I’m volunteering (no cost involved).
That’s a very nice offer from you Laurent, much appreciated! I’m trying to get the full picture of the current situation at Kägiswil, before taking action, so I don’t do anything unconsidered. It seems that the responsible parties are not keen to talk about it. Neither a clear “yes, we have a problem” or “no, everything will be ok”. Just total silence, as if the current troubles are top secret… Let’s see what happens during the AeCZS meeting in 1,5 weeks.
Last Edited by Frans at 05 Jun 09:29
Switzerland

A short update: There is a task force in place to safe LSPG, consisting of all known local and national aeroclubs, and I think FOCA as well. This was kept secret for a long time, even people and most pilots within these clubs were not aware of it. I absolutely don’t understand why they keep all negotiations so secret, but at least we finally know that there is a task force in place for a while now and stuff is moving forward. It also means that the rumors of potential closure were indeed correct.

Back in 2013, it was decided by referendum that the canton Obwalden may not buy the airfield (in order to close it in favor of building land). As a result of that decision, the airfield remained in the hands of Armasuisse (Federal Office for Defence Procurement) with the end of 2023 as final date. If the conversion process from a military into a civil licensed airfield has not been accomplished until then, the airfield goes back to the canton, since Armasuisse has no interest in operating the airfield any longer. And as we all know, the canton has completely different plans with the land. It is now required to finalize the conversion process quickly, before the end of the year. Rumors say that some local residents block the conversion process, even though the referendum in 2013 was a clear yes (62,4%) in favor of the airfield’s existence. Hopefully, these rumors are wrong and we all can still enjoy and fly from this awesome airfield in 2024.

Last Edited by Frans at 04 Jul 14:46
Switzerland

thanks for all the updates and info @Frans.
Any airfield closure weakens the freedom to pursue our hobby, and endangers GA as a whole.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message