Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help planning a VFR route in France

@Skydriller that’s because up to now we just accept them as low level and fly over them.
It is recommended, during weekdays, to fly at more than 1500’ in most of France due to low level military jets. On the corridors they just fly faster. As you say the corridors are published when active so there is no reason to contact anyone. Both these things are just accepted facts of life. We just never let it become a problem.

France

The only exception to generally being cleared through “R” areas in France is the RTBA system of low-level routes for jets. But these are activated on a precise timetable, published in advance here – the RTBA activity site

I’ve yet to be in a position where these corridors become a barrier, but unless anyone knows differently, I could see how they might possibly be…and unfortunately when I ask who you talk to to cross them, I get a gallic shrug from French aeroclub pilots…

Regards, SD..

Its why I mentioned the SIA VFR guide pack. It is in both French and English and IIRC includes the 1:1m map (amongst other things) which include all theblow level airways (Echo corridors) call them what you will.
I have to admit, even with Skydemon and SDVFR if I am planning one or 2 flights where “R” and number and letter is marked on the map I still consult the complimentaire to get an idea of the area. Cognac area has eg R49A R49H etc many starting and finishing at different altitudes.
@Peter I wrote “often” but on a personal level I have never been refused a transit but I have been rerouted/vectored around eg an airfield when there has been military excercises with for instance countless fast jets from all over europe landing.
I don’t know anyone who was flat out refused without some sort of assistance but I’m sure there will be many. But then most of us as soon as SIV tells us that the area is active, try to go round/under/over. But SIV might also simply say “Restricted airspace ahead of you what are your intentions?” We then choose whether to call them for transit or consider it active and do as I wrote above.
There is a joke here (but it has some base in truth) that at such spaces the controllers speak more understandable aviation English than they do French. 🙂
“P” zones just steer clear. Most are small although many also have quite low upper limits.
“D” as written before your choice but also as written sometimes the area is a block to link various military installations and in the complimentaire and probably on SDVFR and Skydemon there is a side note that badically says if you stick to this bit don’t worry about it.
NB an emminent aviation lawyer once wrote an article in one of the French flying magazines pointing out that under avaiation law you have not committed an infringement by entering a region marked as a danger zone this was endorsed by the DGAC and IIRC by EASA and ICAO. Only the UK seemed to ignore it. Before Brexit, I wonder what would have happened if such a case went to court.

Last Edited by gallois at 23 May 07:51
France

Thanks Ibra. Good to know

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Am I right you could fly in the D at your risk ?

In France, (or any ICAO country except UK) the answer is YES…in UK, Danger Area has more danger on licence than health as many found every year

For LFD31D, there are no preferred VFR crossing routes: it’s roam free, however, it’s better talk to SIV: flight over water on flight plan (active FPL with Alerting Service is mandatory when out out of 1:15 glide range)

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 22:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

LFD31D

Pig
If only I’d known that….

Am I right you could fly in the D at your risk ?

Pig
If only I’d known that….

Gramatically, yes, but in the UK almost all airways are Class A (a few bits are Class D), and the term “airways” is used by the training apparatus to instil mortal fear in pilots, so they never go into Class A. Of course they still do and get punished for it.

The consequence of this stupid policy is that the word “airways” is utterly feared, and results in posts on the UK GA chat sites like “can a PPL fly in French airways”. What of course matters is not whether something is a line on a map but what airspace class it is. On the 1:1M SIA chart you get a lot of these, usually VOR-VOR, and mostly they are Class E which is not CAS for VFR.

France is probably the most friendly country in Europe for VFR. There are some exceptions, plus the D R P areas.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Brit pilots like to call them Airways (as SkyDemon call them)

Brit pilots are right. They are airways, as the term “airway” is defined.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 May 17:45
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Upper limit, as usual, is 3300 feet AGL !

It’s treated as medium built up area depending on how many animals: birds, deers, manities…are there (I am not kidding)

Natural reserves area will have the usual 800ft, 1000ft, 1600ft or 3300ft agl…dpending on size but they are not monitored by ATC or DGAC, there are animal protectors & spotters as well as hikers who will come after the busting aircraft

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message