Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help planning a VFR route in France

Yes IFR low level charts

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

PDF available in the AIP ENR 6.1

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Also, more and more of these big “Nature Reserve Prohibited Areas” are popping up in France. Now not just in the Alps, but also elsewhere. Like this one in Northern Burgundy/Haute Marne. Upper limit, as usual, is 3300 feet AGL !

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 May 17:02
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am based in Saint Laurent (LFDU) and flew to LESO (San sebastian).I am a beginner.It’s a trip without problems (Cazeaux zones)
I did it more than one time,to Valladolid,to Portugal and one time i had a problem quickly solved if your routes are prepared.There are two corridors east and west (follow the coast).The west corridor was refused because there where shooting at sea,so they proposed me the east corridor.I did it at FL 085,at 3000’ .At FL 085 cazeaux asked me to descend at 1.500’ if possible,i answered “no possible,clouds in the way” and they arranged their flights
My advice
1. Phone the day before and ask their intentions for the day of your flight and give your intentions (if possible in French)
2.Prepare the east and west corridor
3.Don’t forget LESO PPR for parking
And there are a lot of airfields on the way (Saint Laurent,Arcachon,Biscarrosse,Biarritz)
Radio
Aquitaine information 120,575
Cazeaux approach 119,600
Biarritz information
That’s it

LFDU, Belgium

Upper limit, as usual, is 3300 feet AGL !

It’s treated as medium built up area depending on how many animals: birds, deers, manities…are there (I am not kidding)

Natural reserves area will have the usual 800ft, 1000ft, 1600ft or 3300ft agl…dpending on size but they are not monitored by ATC or DGAC, there are animal protectors & spotters as well as hikers who will come after the busting aircraft

Ibra wrote:

Brit pilots like to call them Airways (as SkyDemon call them)

Brit pilots are right. They are airways, as the term “airway” is defined.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 May 17:45
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Gramatically, yes, but in the UK almost all airways are Class A (a few bits are Class D), and the term “airways” is used by the training apparatus to instil mortal fear in pilots, so they never go into Class A. Of course they still do and get punished for it.

The consequence of this stupid policy is that the word “airways” is utterly feared, and results in posts on the UK GA chat sites like “can a PPL fly in French airways”. What of course matters is not whether something is a line on a map but what airspace class it is. On the 1:1M SIA chart you get a lot of these, usually VOR-VOR, and mostly they are Class E which is not CAS for VFR.

France is probably the most friendly country in Europe for VFR. There are some exceptions, plus the D R P areas.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Am I right you could fly in the D at your risk ?

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

LFD31D

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Am I right you could fly in the D at your risk ?

In France, (or any ICAO country except UK) the answer is YES…in UK, Danger Area has more danger on licence than health as many found every year

For LFD31D, there are no preferred VFR crossing routes: it’s roam free, however, it’s better talk to SIV: flight over water on flight plan (active FPL with Alerting Service is mandatory when out out of 1:15 glide range)

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 22:43
Sign in to add your message