Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help planning a VFR route in France

johnh wrote:

French airspace looks scary. It’s why I decided that IFR is a better idea, even in perfect VMC

It’s on my plans :) Thanks for sharing your experience.

EGSU, United Kingdom
French airspace looks scary. It’s why I decided that IFR is a better idea, even in perfect VMC

VFR or IFR doesn’t really matter. Generally speaking, if there is no resticted airspace in between, you can proceed direct, both VFR or IFR. If there IS restricted airspace in between, then you cannot proceed direct, no matter if VFR or IFR.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

VFR or IFR doesn’t really matter.

I guess that’s a matter of opinion.

IFR: create flight plan with ForeFlight (or SD). Let it figure out the route. File it. Fly what ATC tell you to fly.

VFR: spend hours poring over SDVFR trying to find a combination of route and altitudes that don’t break anyone’s airspace. Without local knowledge you have no idea who will happily let you through with a quick call, and where might as well be solid concrete, so plan on avoiding all R zones. In many places that’s impossible without a massive detour, so have that as Plan B and cross your fingers for being allowed through.

Take off. Typically fly lower than you’re comfortable with (e.g. 800 feet way off the Med coast). Worry constantly that you might have missed some piece of airspace and get busted.

I know which I prefer.

LFMD, France

@Fernando – one other thing – use the various Info services in France. They will generally keep you out of trouble although they’re not strictly ATC.

In my experience they are fine with English though speak carefully and accept that most other aircraft will be speaking French with them.

You should try to get the CartaBossy chart – even though they’re 1000000 : 1, they manage to cram in a huge amount of information including all the frequencies you’ll need. They also do a “weekend” version which omits all the restricted stuff which is invariably inactive at the weekend. It uses a lot less red ink.

LFMD, France

I guess that’s a matter of opinion

Unless you mean VOR-VOR Echo Airways +FL65 which can be flown with exactly the same ease VFR & IFR in France, Delta/Charlie can be flown the same (only Alpha TMA and FL120 LTA are tricky for VFR), otherwise, @Boscomantico is right IFR or VFR direct off-routes and off-airspaces OCAS will be the same problem, you need permission

When doing IFR shortcuts in Golf, you need to watch NOTAMS, TRA, ZIT, R/P-area…en-route ATC (who act as FIS in Golf) will not give shortcut there unless you explicitly state that you are happy “pour faire IFR non-controllé” or you ask “annuler IFR (demande une permission pour pénétrer)”, sometimes you are more lucky flying VFR than IFR in those corners (I usually manage to cross over StDizier VFR and pick IFR later, while under IFR it’s NO GO)

Something to keep in mind most military area ATCO don’t offer IFR clearances (direct or vector) in RA/TRA…it’s Golf after all, they only give permission to penetrate, and they don’t even say VFR or IFR, it’s you who make that judgement to add to the mix some are not ELP-rated and not Radar-rated, so can’t be of much help for an “international civilian IFR”

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 13:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

johnh wrote:

Let it figure out the route. File it. Fly what ATC tell you to fly.

That’s the dream.

While I understand well the debate/pros/cons of VFR vs IFR, I’m limited to my current license privileges which are VFR :)

IR is on my plans, but until then, I don’t want to stick to flying in the UK only. I have found incredible support here in the forum and, slowly, I’m starting to get out of the nest. Maybe south-west France is not for me yet, but I like to dream… not very high… maybe 500ft :)

Last Edited by Fernando at 22 May 13:19
EGSU, United Kingdom

@johnh thank you very much for the advice!

johnh wrote:

It uses a lot less red ink

I like those! Just ordered it. Thank you!

EGSU, United Kingdom

They also do a “weekend” version which omits all the restricted stuff which is invariably inactive at the weekend. It uses a lot less red ink.

Just realised this is ambiguous. The absent comma matters! CartaBossy Weekend shows only restricted airspace which IS (or may be) active at the weekend. There is quite a lot of that, but WAY less than the stuff which is only active during the week.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

Weekend shows only restricted airspace which IS (or may be) active at the weekend.

Roger ;)

EGSU, United Kingdom

johnh wrote:

@Fernando – one other thing – use the various Info services in France. They will generally keep you out of trouble although they’re not strictly ATC.

In my experience they are fine with English though speak carefully and accept that most other aircraft will be speaking French with them.

Just want to echo this. Last weekend we flew from Koblenz to Caen and Paris Information was very helpful, and spoke understandable English

Just make sure to stay on-top of any controlled airspace or R-areas that you will fly through and ask for clearance. We almost busted Beauvais TMA due to (I think) Paris information misunderstood request, responding simply with “You’re OK”, even after I asked a second time to clarify. We were like, hmm, let’s listen to Beauvais Approach and verify whether there is any traffic. Indeed there was, so we contacted them and immediately received clearance in the TMA (and notified Paris information).

Except that, they were very helpful and gave us continuous information about R-areas etc.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 22 May 13:53
Sign in to add your message