Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Texel EHTX

@boscomantico I think that’s my recent Skydeamon report from last week! It was business as usual at Texel with zero fuss. We were greeted on arrival and my UK passport stamped with what appears to be a ferry port stamp (there is a boat logo and not airport on the stamp) There was no mention of any changes expected.

We then flew around the islands, Germany ,Denmark, Sweden and departed from Norway back to the Uk where I got my exit stamp from Bergen.

It would be a real shame if Texel was lost for UK pilots as it’s a great entry point.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Interesting!

And very useful.

Yes I cleaned up stuff. Maybe not correctly… I think you meant this post.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Indeed it absolutely still seems to work for UK flights. One wonders what the Dutch police guy writing the above mentioned email (well, the text got lost in splitting threads it seems) was thinking…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 May 20:09
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I landed at Texel on 29 April from UK. I filed GAR using GENDEC.eu and added the special number as Remark in my flight plan which links both together.

Met on arrival by two immigration officials who quickly checked and stamped passports then departed. They have to drive from the mainland and cross with the ferry, so quite a big deal. As mentioned above, it’s under threat as a port of entry. I wondered if any new systems that don’t require a passport stamp might allow this to keep going.

Very active airfield with lots of skydiving etc, but short staffed in the cafe when we visited so a restricted menu.

Ed in the tower was his usual welcoming jovial self. It’s always a pleasure to visit.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

The definition of “third countries” for the EU always means “non-Schengen”, so the statement is clear that the airports on the list have both immigration and customs.

Non-Schengen EU member states are not “third countries”. Your quote from an EU document specifically mentions customs and all of the EU is a customs union.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ibra wrote:

I would definitely double check that Texel & Budel are still port of entry for extra-Schengen immigration (especially when flying with non-EU passport holders otherwise what can go wrong?), I mean from an official source not some website (OnlineGAR, GENDEC.eu, their AIP AD2.2 entry says no immigration which makes double confirmation necessary)

I agree, although the linked list is an official EU document and explicitly says:
“This list comprises all Union airports which, having been so authorized by the competent authorities of the Member State concerned, are approved for air traffic with third countries and where, in particular, customs controls can be carried out on baggage.”

The definition of “third countries” for the EU always means “non-Schengen”, so the statement is clear that the airports on the list have both immigration and customs.

… and Texel is on the list.

We all know that an AIP entry is correct, except when it’s not.

LSZK, Switzerland

Posts on the general hardening of GA flying around Europe are here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If using Groningen as a point of entry then land, clear immigration/customs and depart to EDWF Leer for 100LL at €2,49 per liter

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I’ve recounted my frustrated attempt to get into wonderful, wonderful Texel this month In the ‘Passport’ thread.

By far the most welcoming VFR airfield on the far side of the N Sea, I’ve been landing at Texel to clear Schengen and now EU on my regular jaunts to Scandinavia – 3 times last year alone – for many years. I’ve always been made to feel welcome and landing there is always a joy after an hour and a half of cold dark N Sea.

The first time last year I was able to land without any formalities but on continuing to Norway found the Norwegians interested in how I had got into the EU without a passport stamp. Subsequent times I was met at Texel by Dutch officials who have to travel by boat from the mainland. I learned that there is a movement in Dutch Government circles to close this route to UK GA, and also at Midden Zealand and Teague. The latest is that Texel will continue to be available through August, but after that the future is uncertain.

The obvious alternative of Groningen is blighted by reported outrageous fuel charges, especially important since a typical PA28 from UK will need a lot of AVGAS! Maybe I could continue direct to Wilhelmshaven, but that’s another hour or so. To me, the whole saga feels like yet another impediment to European GA.

Texel is a truly wonderful airfield (did I mention that?) with equally wonderful management. Last year on my way home I was able to park the plane on the grass outside my hotel room. Where else in Europe could you do that? They don’t deserve this victimisation by their own Government (for evidence see the email in the other thread) and I just wish there was something we could do to help. As the outcasts of Europe, I fear there isn’t – except go there, while we still can. Please, please do that.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

We were definitely been greeted into Texel in past Fly-In by friendly uniforms from UK, (…), I don’t recall if it was Koninklijke Marechaussee or Belastingdienst?

Must have been de Marechaussee; the Douane might (and certainly can) join them, but I don’t expect the Belastingdienst ;-)

ELLX
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message