Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Texel EHTX

From here

Aveling wrote:

my case and now the one in the paper

The paper makes a great stink out blaming Ryanair (as usual) but they did not do anything wrong then.

I recall when handling british planes from Switzerland in the 1990ties we had to put up extra passport checkers to make sure they would not get any inadmissibles. The airline was fined HUGE sums if one got through which they then would throw at the handling agents. So for flights to Britain even then we were ultra cautious. By now, these passport checks are commonplace for a lot of destinations.

What is kind of stupid is that in this day and age you usually have to put all your document data into the PNR while you book or at latest check in online. At least there this should be caught and the passenger made aware that his travel papers are duff. Nobody should have to be refused at the airport these days.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Good evening sir/madam, I just saw your flight plan to Texel for this evening. I want to adjust you to the fact that Texel is not an international airport. As a result, you are not allowed to land from outside the Schengen area.

I am sure there are some Dutch pilots who understand the ins/outs of immigration & customs in small airfields

Looking at Texel, it actually never had immigration status in AD2.2 (see also GEN1.2 & AD1.3) but bizarrely always allowed flight from UK in the past (maybe with some exemptions: crew only per Schengen law? or up to 72h stay per Dutch law? arranged for the flyin?), it was ok for flights from UK even post-Brexit, including the last time where I inquired about making August fly-in coming from LeeOnSolent…it will be sad if they make changes this year !

In the other hand, Midden Zealand has immigration (but listed as no customs, usually this is not an issue if one is visiting temporarily from UK, especially with the new EU law)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 11:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yeah, right, and then this happens.

We were definitely been greeted into Texel in past Fly-In by friendly uniforms from UK, with load of aircrafts from Stapleford and North Weald, I don’t recall if it was Koninklijke Marechaussee or Belastingdienst?

I am sure it was possible up to last year, I am likely flying from France this summer but it will be good to know if there are any arrangements for UK this year !

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 11:29

Texel is also confirmed as ok by looking at the gendec.eu website:

Texel is definitely a great place (both the airport and the island), and one of the few “GA only” airfields with this service close to the Channel. Would be sad if were factually lost for UK flights. Something is going in the background it seems, with people not understanding the difference between Customs and Immigration, as usual.

BTW, the Texel topic should be split from the passport topic. [ done ]

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 May 11:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That 15 items list sounds like the list of Netherlands taxation airports (customs), the official list from Feb2023 is here, do you know where that GENDEC.eu list comes from?

https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2023-02/List%20of%20International%20Union%20Airports.pdf

I would definitely double check that Texel & Budel are still port of entry for extra-Schengen immigration (especially when flying with non-EU passport holders otherwise what can go wrong?), I mean from an official source not some website (OnlineGAR, GENDEC.eu, their AIP AD2.2 entry says no immigration which makes double confirmation necessary)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 12:11

Texel

Peter, I’m starting a separate Texel thread because it’s obviously of interest.

[ posts moved here ]

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

We were definitely been greeted into Texel in past Fly-In by friendly uniforms from UK, (…), I don’t recall if it was Koninklijke Marechaussee or Belastingdienst?

Must have been de Marechaussee; the Douane might (and certainly can) join them, but I don’t expect the Belastingdienst ;-)

ELLX

I’ve recounted my frustrated attempt to get into wonderful, wonderful Texel this month In the ‘Passport’ thread.

By far the most welcoming VFR airfield on the far side of the N Sea, I’ve been landing at Texel to clear Schengen and now EU on my regular jaunts to Scandinavia – 3 times last year alone – for many years. I’ve always been made to feel welcome and landing there is always a joy after an hour and a half of cold dark N Sea.

The first time last year I was able to land without any formalities but on continuing to Norway found the Norwegians interested in how I had got into the EU without a passport stamp. Subsequent times I was met at Texel by Dutch officials who have to travel by boat from the mainland. I learned that there is a movement in Dutch Government circles to close this route to UK GA, and also at Midden Zealand and Teague. The latest is that Texel will continue to be available through August, but after that the future is uncertain.

The obvious alternative of Groningen is blighted by reported outrageous fuel charges, especially important since a typical PA28 from UK will need a lot of AVGAS! Maybe I could continue direct to Wilhelmshaven, but that’s another hour or so. To me, the whole saga feels like yet another impediment to European GA.

Texel is a truly wonderful airfield (did I mention that?) with equally wonderful management. Last year on my way home I was able to park the plane on the grass outside my hotel room. Where else in Europe could you do that? They don’t deserve this victimisation by their own Government (for evidence see the email in the other thread) and I just wish there was something we could do to help. As the outcasts of Europe, I fear there isn’t – except go there, while we still can. Please, please do that.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

If using Groningen as a point of entry then land, clear immigration/customs and depart to EDWF Leer for 100LL at €2,49 per liter

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Posts on the general hardening of GA flying around Europe are here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message