Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AVGAS refuel recommendation before crossing French->Spain border

According to research in our EuroGA database and other sources on the internet, a bit less expensive AVGAS refueling is no longer necessarily to be found in Beziers or Perpignan. From your experience, are there now better airfields for refueling? Is it maybe worth refueling in Spain/Andorra La Cerdanya after all? Destination airport is Ampuriabrava (LEAP).

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

a bit less expensive AVGAS refueling is no longer necessarily to be found in Beziers or Perpignan

With Total Card, price will be the same at Perpignan and LeTouquet, it’s published every month and it’s 2.5€/L today

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@ Ibra: that means fa Total Card is essential for these airfields? 2,5€/l is not bad.
I do not have a Total Card due to the more or less high deposit. Still having BPSterling only, but as far as I‘ve heard BP is often not accepted in France or Visa is accepted at best. A tiresome topic in GA for economically planning cross border flights IMHO.

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

If you have Total Card you pay 2.5€/L, if you go via Aeroclubs you pay what shown in the machine +0.2€/L, if you use operations or trucks you pay +0.8€/L on top

It’s an option, it’s not necessary to have Total Card to self-fuel in France, it just removes the dependency on others and allow to pay less if you can fuel yourself…the deposit is 200€ (if you set annual consumption at 2000€ per year or less)

Without Total Card, it’s worth fuel in LESU same price but likely easier to organise with quick turn around versus France

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 May 14:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Haven’t checked the latest, but LESU pricing will likely be similar to LEAP. Note the restrictions on arrival times at LESU btw. You mention La Cerdanya. No fuel there for sale. For aeroclub only.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

BP is often not accepted in France

I think it depends just on who the fuel vendor is. At Cannes LFMD it’s BP, so you need a BP card. A Total card will get you nowhere. (You can also pay with a regular card but you’re limited to €300). It’s true that every other airport I’ve refuelled at has been Total, but it’s not a very representative sample.

LFMD, France

I used MC at LFMD a few times last year..? Has that chanaged then? LFNH has 100LL self service with MC – also a very nice spot. LESO takes MC on the western side

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

I used MC at LFMD a few times last year..? Has that changed then?

It’s an odd setup. There are two pumps. One only takes a BP card. The other takes just normal cards. But transactions are limited to €300, which may or may not be a problem depending on the aircraft. And my French debit card for some reason is limited to €150, which is a problem when you have a plane that takes well over €300 to fill up. You have to run multiple transactions, but you daren’t do one wing and then start a new transaction for the other one, in case something goes wrong with the second one and you have a plane which is too asymmetric to fly.

I have a BP card now, which makes life easier.

LFMD, France

If you have a BP card, you can refuel at Carcassonne LFMK. Close too and they have a self-serve BP pump. I didn’t check notams, just VAC.

LFOU, France

Wherever you decide to go, I recommend you call in advance to see if they have fuel, to see if you can self-serve, and if not, when will “the guy” be there? No idea why, but there are a lot of places that seem to be finicky about selling fuel.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message