Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suggestion: cheat sheets for flying in each country?

1 Post

There are many, many posts across many forums about the variations in procedures – both official and unoffical – in various countries. Both I & the group I fly with are new to international flying and we spend plenty of time googling countries before we go & swapping notes with each other when we come back.

I think you’d all agree that crossing borders in Europe is not that complicated – but there are plenty of minor differences either legally or culturally, and knowing them before you go definitely makes life easier :) EuroGA is a great source of info for this, but it’s scattered across a lot of threads which vary in age. And for multi-country trips I find myself doing a lot of googling & scrolling.

What I’d love to have is a brief summary of the need-to-know stuff for each country that I can quickly glance at when planning. I’m thinking of common questions such as:

• Language requirements (do local language only airfields exist, and if so how strict is this?)
  • Prevalance of PPR (call ahead every flight, or OK to just turn up?)
  • Attitudes towards out of hours ops (normally flexible, or normally immutable?)
  • Fuel requirements (typically cash, CC, or AirBP/Total?)
  • VFR flight plans (AFAIK a minority of countries expect for e.g. CAS entry, arriving major airports. Who to call to close if no ATS on arrival?)
  • Typical level of service from FIS (give you a sqawk and forget about you, or with you all the way including CAS clearances?)
  • IFR OCAS or to/from non-IFR airfields (allowed or not? procedure?)
  • any special requirements e.g. survival equipment in remote areas
  • customs/immigration (GENDEC/email to airfield/etc.?)
  • best source of airfield info (AIP vs 3rd party?)

…and so on. Ideally somewhere that we can collectively keep updated so it doesn’t become stale, but also doesn’t change every time a new rumour starts ;)

I appreciate the above topics are biased towards me as a UK flyer, and the answer to questions is often “it depends”! But hopefully you get the idea.

Last Edited by SteakAndAle at 16 Apr 11:47
EGSG, United Kingdom
1 Post
Sign in to add your message