Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Southern France and Northern Spain (Eastern 2023)

When deciding where to go to for our Eastern vacation this year, we made the decision to go to Italy. But then the weather to cross the alps was horrible and we changed our minds spontaneously Friday night and set course to southern France, Beziers LFMU. The flight itself was not the nicest one. Stormy, bumby and I did need nearly the full amount of TKS to stay ice free.
But finally we arrived in good weather and the airport was a good choice. The only negative thing was the parking on grass. There were so many stones that I tried to refuse the parking there, but they made a smart move: the guys from OPS helped us to push the plane in this area and helped us to pull the plane back on tarmac before our departure.
So we were happy to enjoy Beziers.

After that stop we again thought we might continue to Italy. But the weather in northern Spain looked incredible good for the next days, so we decided to fly to Pamplona LEPP. Good choice. No handling, very good service at the airport and refueling included we were ready to go to the city after 30 minutes. But no taxi driver accepted our dog. So it took us an hour until we could find an arrangement, but then we were good to go for some picos and for visiting the town.

Having heard many good things about Burgos LEBG before, this was our next place to go. Again no handling and this time no problem to get a taxi. So short after landing we were ready to visit the famous cathedral there. As Pamplona Burgos is recommended to visit.

Semana Santa – Eastern procession at Burgos

The last location in Spain we flew to was Bilbao. And yes I have heard so many negative things about handling etc, but it’s now for years, that I wanted to visit the Guggenheim Museum there and so we decided to go. Finally the handling was worth its price, because even Pamplona and Burgos were very fast to enter and to leave the airport, but Bilbao was on the top of it. It was the fastest handling of us on an international airport ever. And the town, no words only picture, was fantastic.

As we had to think about turning back home we decided to use the emptiness of our fuel reservoirs to continue to a small airstrip in the Ardèche valley at Ruoms LFHF. It’s restricted to pilots holding an instructors license or after you have done familiarization flights with an instructor beforehand. But the grass field is in good condition and so we could land there and got a warm welcome. But I was asked about my instructors listen es after landing from one of the club members. From the airfield we went to our AirBnB at Labeaume and enjoyed relaxing days with some hiking.

Departure at Bilbao

Ruoms, located between the rivers Ardèche and La Beaume

Our AirBnB with a fantastic look out

Going for hiking

Dolmen

Last stop will we Valence LFLU, where we will go to tomorrow and stay for another two nights. I will continue my report when being back in Stuttgart EDDS.

EDDS , Germany

Great photos

Lucky you had an instructor rating 😀 Do you know why Ruoms is restricted?

I spent a few holidays in the Ardèche, including two flying into Montélimar, so nice to see the scenery

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Looks amazing! You seem to be having a great trip!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Nice. Good choice on going to Spain. The Easter weather in parts of Italy really wasn‘t too great.

Total cost at Bilbao?

Ruoms is a very scenic place indeed. By the way, the AIP does not exactly say that

It’s restricted to pilots holding an instructors license or after you have done familiarization flights with an instructor beforehand.

It merely calls for having a valid qualification to use the AD certified by a flight instructor. So a familiarization flight is not strictly necessary. One just needs to find an instructor (any) that will be willing to sign one off as qualified to to use that aerodrome.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Nice “avoidance trip”, all planned in last days?

Do you know why Ruoms is restricted?

No one knows (no one has a single clue why ), some desk/chair person got bored and decided it’s time for Autumn cleaning of Rhône-Valley aerodromes, the law with those restrictions were drafted late Sep 2014

JO 20 Sep2014

Rumos

The full list is big: Lyon-Brindas, Saint Galmier, St-Jean d’Avelanne, St-Jean en Royans, Sallanche (closed all together), Albertville, Ruoms, Belleville, Belley…I am assuming all VAC have been updated in 2018

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Apr 21:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Wonderful trip

There is so much to see in Spain… beautiful photos!

I hope we can have more meet-ups there soon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The last stop for refueling and sightseeing was Valence LFLU. We had a nice short flight along the Ardèche river before diving down in the Rhône valley. It was very nice of the ops guys, that they came to tell us, that we will need a code to enter the field when departing on Saturday or Sunday. One should ask at the info desk beforehand, they check your identity and then they will send you an email with code and access guidance. Without the advice we would have missed that procedure.

Valence is a small but nice town, with many work in progress to upgrade the old towns appearance. The parks and recreation areas were the biggest surprise for us. So we enjoyed another day walking around.

EDDS , Germany

@boscomantico

Total cost at Bilbao?

See here.

@lbra

Nice “avoidance trip”, all planned in last days?

Affirmative. The decision to go to Beziers was made Friday night before leaving on Saturday morning. And then we made the planning on the fly always with an eye on the weather, because regarding sightseeing we prefer nice weather. For flying we enjoy nice weather as well, because then we can go VFR.

EDDS , Germany

217 Euros Handling..!!!
Exactly what did you get for that princely sum??

Is Bilbao not an EANA airport with the AOPA agreement for minimum handling?

Exactly what did you get for that princely sum??

Probably nothing. Maybe crew transport if it’s not walking distance

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message