Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ Fly-In 2023 - last before it closes?

From here

So should we do a fly-in to Elba this year? Could be the last time ever

Germany

Sounds like a great idea!

Last time, @AfricanEagle (not sure if he is still flying) organised the restaurant; he is Italian. There were too many of us (40?) to just walk in somewhere. Elba gets a good turnout – a “romantic” location, like Venice…

Who would like to lead this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was there two times but wouldn’t mind visiting again.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Is anyone interested in driving this?

Administrator

The fly-in I tried to organize to Aosta last year failed totally with only me attending despite beautiful weather all over Europe. As mentioned many times here, EuroGA fly-ins are relatively low demanding, people book accommodation by themselves, organize free time by themselves and only thing that’s expected is easy going airport and common dinner.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Some people did do a fly2ski but not quite at the same time

No, I didn’t get it either…

Anyway, let’s see if Elba produces any interest. It really should.

Administrator

A good destination for the long legged TB20 and PA-24 crowd :) Am guessing Cannes would be a sensible intermediate point outbound and inbound, from the UK?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I would definitely go; can do it direct easily.

Cannes is a bit of a “slow” airport, but if one wants to get cheaper fuel then there are various options.

Administrator

I see people are holding back. Possibly due to a new Pandemic strain that is being talked about in the USA. But I have a mask and willing to take a chance, when is the interest to have the event?

Been there 3 times and it was great each time.

KHTO, LHTL

Since we are doing Spain in late Sep, perhaps Elba early Sep? Elba is very accessible from central Europe e.g. Germany.

Possibly due to a new Pandemic strain that is being talked about in the USA.

I doubt it – never heard of it. Nobody is going to give a damn about another one. No; the issue is that “somebody” needs to organise these events and drive them. And then almost everybody waits to see who else is going. If there are 5-10 planes going, a lot more people quickly get interested. But for some reason, post-covid it is harder to assemble that initial group. We do have it for Annecy now, 3-4 June.

Administrator
79 Posts
Sign in to add your message