Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly-in proposal: Erlangen Bergweich 2023 (26-29th May)

Hi All,

I flew this trip last year via Prague and it was amazing – see here

EDDN is a short ride away from the Bergweich where we can have food/drinks.

https://airports.euroga.org/record.php?id=1035

I am planning on flying in (potentially from Prague) on the 27th – we can arrange a meetup this date then lunch on the Sunday (Hangover cure). Let me know who’s interested and then I’ll setup a Signal group for those attending. Including booking a table for us pilots at lunch.

Other recommendations for airfields in the area are here.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

@Peter would you be up for this?

Also, post as an event? I can then arrange with the restaurant I went to last year for Sunday.

EGSG, United Kingdom

I can’t do 27th April. Normally I don’t commit to dates far in advance (it causes stress ) but April is already manic.

A good way to find out if anyone is interested is to see who posts here, and who responds to a suggestion in the Telegram Ad Hoc group. If you get nothing in either place then probably nobody will come. I don’t think people see the data posted in our Meetups page, as the initial thing. I’ve already promoted this thread to the home page banners.

Great idea – keep trying these. Everyone once in a while, somebody bites…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I can’t do 27th April. Normally I don’t commit to dates far in advance (it causes stress ) but April is already manic.

May 2023* – Not April.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Sorry

OK; let’s see. We have a huge number of German readers, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Sorry

OK; let’s see. We have a huge number of German readers, too.

Yes and Erlangen isn’t massively expensive, there’s another field nearby to EDDN that VFR’ers can go into, and it is just before Summer. The weather should be flyable.

EGSG, United Kingdom

EDDN is actually Nuremberg Airport. Not sure how expensive it is…

Close to it I can recommend those nice VFR airfields:
- Herzogenaurach EDQH; 100LL, mogas, Jet A1 available. Never tried the restaurant (I usually only go there to fill my bird, not my stomach :D It’s 8 mins flight time from EDQN, a bit short for a burger run!)
- Neustadt an der Aisch EDQN – my home base – with terrific, gigantic pizza; only 100LL available

There is also Hetzleser Berg EDQX and Lauf EDQI but I personally never went; does someone has info?

If you decide to come to EDQN, want to eat at the airfield, and let me know how many are joining I will make a reservation at the restaurant.

EDIT: If your goal is to visit Erlangen, Herzogenaurach (and EDDN of course) is closer.
Also 26-29 May I will most probably be away on vacation (my significant other – we are not speaking about my aircraft here ;) – already decided on the dates…)

Last Edited by etn at 04 Apr 16:45
etn
EDQN, Germany

@Peter can you put @etn recommendations into my original post please as I am unable to edit. Cheers.

EGSG, United Kingdom

@pilotrobbie in the meantime I read the report you linked in your original post. Great write up! Thanks for sharing! :)

Interesting how different pilots have different approaches. You choose to go to larger airports (Prague, Nuremberg, Baden Baden) – those are the ones I usually avoid. I also favor shorter legs, despite the Robin having 7 hours endurance. It namely has the same flaw as those multi-million dollar fighter jets: 🤣

Last Edited by etn at 04 Apr 19:43
etn
EDQN, Germany

etn wrote:

@pilotrobbie in the meantime I read the report you linked in your original post. Great write up! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks for reading, hoping to do it all again this year.

etn wrote:

Interesting how different pilots have different approaches. You choose to go to larger airports (Prague, Nuremberg, Baden Baden) – those are the ones I usually avoid.

It’s the simpler choice with UK being non-Schengen and me wanting IFR and to keep current. If I could afford it, I’d fly more to the smaller aerodromes in between the IFR long-distance stuff. Maybe in the no-to-distance future.

EGSG, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message