Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A new rip off - Valladolid LEVD

The decline of general aviation (GA) in Spain cannot be attributed solely to the end of the economic boom. Rather, it is largely due to the fact that airclubs were evicted from airports and AENA imposed numerous taxes and requirements on GA, making it impractical to fly in Spain. Consequently, many individuals have turned to ultralight aircraft (ULM), which are easier to operate, maintain, and cheaper to fly. Given Spain’s small size, the country boasts excellent fast rail connections and highways, rendering GA travel unnecessary for most people. Additionally, favorable weather conditions typically negate the need for Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) flying. Rising gas prices and high excise taxes on AVGAS for private flying have also contributed to the decline.

Spot on. And my prediction is that the decline will be continuing, although there isn’t much left to decline from. Reason being that after persistent pressure from the various GA associations, the authorities are finally facilitating ULM flying. The main things that have been achieved are: increasing MTOM to 600 kg and flying above 1.000 ft AGL. Discussions are moving in the right direction regarding access to CAS and simplified registration of a ULM. On the latter, the idea is to be able to Spanish-reg a ULM on the basis of an type-approval of another EASA-country. This really opens up the possibilities for Spaniards and Spanish residents to get the aircraft they want. Currently, the offering is limited and it is a complete joke to try and register a foreign ULM. I’ve heard stories that one would have to completely disassemble the aircraft, including drilling out rivets, and do static structural testing.

Slightly more on topic: We’ve covered this many times on the forum, but there are many non-AENA fields in Spain that are a much better deal to fly to. Not only money-wise, but also in terms of feeling welcome. VFR-only but that’s seldom a problem.

Last Edited by aart at 20 Mar 07:10
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter wrote:

I know this is historical but maybe that’s why the AF declined

Well, not long after that there was a big but failed ATC strike where all ATCO’s were militarized for several weeks and things got more reasonable after that. I guess sometimes you need to take a strong position to get things reasonable…see Wiki summary

Antonio
LESB, Spain

there are many non-AENA fields in Spain that are a much better deal to fly to. Not only money-wise, but also in terms of feeling welcome. VFR-only but that’s seldom a problem

One has to fly to AENA airports when going extra-Schengen (Morocco or UK), otherwise, there is no reason to fly to AENA airports? then one has lot more choices around

I do get that some want to fly IFR with 15nm DME arc in Spanish CAVOK, it’s a nice feeling to do this and “be on ILS”, sadly this service is only available at AENA airports !

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Mar 16:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

All these countries that have an unfriendly/prohibitive attitude towards GA are gonna get caught out bad in the end. I’ll ask only one question – do we think drones, UAV’s and electric flight is going to increase or decrease in the future to all walks of life? The answer is so painfully obvious, it’s staring them right in the face.

It’s like the oil companies that own gas stations that refuse to put chargers in the stations and cater to an electrified future… Can you say Kodak? What do they think will happen in 15 years time?

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message