Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tips for flight to Prague

Hello all

I hope to be undertaking a flight to Prague in March (VFR from BE). Depending on the plane I might be restricted to asphalt runways only (rental policy). Looking at potential airfields, LKLT Letnany and LKVO Vodochody seem nice alternatives to the main one LKPR Ruzyne. LKVO looks closed on weekends and I’d like to arrive on Sunday – is there room for negotiation or is it strictly weekdays only? Should I consider any of the other grass fields around Prague if grass runway is an option?

Also, for general information I found the Czech VFR manual (which clearly was written by someone who actually cares about providing information in the most useful way possible, it’s a pleasure to skim through). Any weird gotcha’s I should be aware of (of the style UK DAs are really more like RAs unless you’re absolutely sure)? Still very much low hour profile so don’t worry about being too obvious

Finally, any good suggestions for a potential fuel stop somewhere halfway with minimal complexity? It’ll be DA40 or PA28 so endurance borderline depending on wind, and might need avgas or jetA1

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

I’m based in LKLT – if you opt for it be aware that RWY 05R/23L is a bit bumpy. Check and stick to opening hours mentioned in the airport manual (published on their website), otherwise you will be charged a lot. Avgas available, for Jet-A1 better double check with then the current situation. Subway station is 15 minutes walking distance. Most convenient even for short trips and in & outs.

As a second option I would consider LKTC, it’s PPR but friendly place, grass RWY in OK condition. Public transport is a bit further away but with Liftago (taxi app) you can get easily from the airporti. When flying from north, west your Prague CTR crossing might be denied if the controller sense that you are not familiar with the entry and exit routing, therefore you might need to circumnavigate a bit.

For asphalt RWY consider as well LKPM, it’s a bit further away but with good opening hours, both Avgas and Jet-A1 available and you can as well order a taxi (approx. 50-70 €) to Prague.

I tried several times LKVO outside opening hours and my request was always rejected.
LKPR avoid – you will need to have a handling and slot arranged, can cost you approx 150-200€.

SkyDemon is pretty accurate for airspace and plannig however I recommend you to download AisView app which is the official source. After border crossing call Praha Information and you can ask them about active areas on your planned route. They are very helpful!

Ani
LKLT, Czech Republic

Ani wrote:

SkyDemon is pretty accurate for airspace

If it is only “pretty accurate” and not exactly accurate, you should tell the Skydemon team.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Letnany is easy and recommendable.
One note of advice: occasionally pilots run into trouble when they taxi outside the permitted area (signalled by yellow cones) and are charged a “fine”. Heard strange stories there, folks got apparently somewhat agitated.
Has’nt happened to me, can’t therefore give more details; if in doubt, rather stop and check with the guy on the radio rather then ploughing thru ;-)
05L/23R have been quite OK in recent years in summer.

EDM_, Germany

Good aviation museum at Kbely which is not far from LKLT – see here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Everything as said above.
This may not be relevant to you, but to others: last summer I did a Z departure out of LKLT, and learnt (in the air) from the Radar controller that Z departures need to be pre-coordinated with them. I definitely missed that from the AIP. The controller did not kick me out though, and I promised to do better next time.

ESMK, Sweden

I landed twice at LDVO and it was ok but it was long time ago.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Ani wrote:

I’m based in LKLT – if you opt for it be aware that RWY 05R/23L is a bit bumpy

Thanks for the feedback! Can I just ask for the other runway then or is there a reason why I’d have to use 05R/23L? Thx for the LKTC suggestion will definitely look into that as well.

I had a look at the aisview app you suggested and it’s also very nice to use (some people in the CZ CAA must really like GA). But I’d rather stick with what I’m familiar with which is Skydemon. So same question as A_A: can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by “pretty accurate”? Do you mean some information in SD is missing or is some simply wrong?

Anyone has a recommendation for a fuel stop between LK** and EBKT? Ideally asphalt, avgas and jet-A, minimal complexity / fees.

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

ch.ess wrote:

One note of advice: occasionally pilots run into trouble when they taxi outside the permitted area (signalled by yellow cones) and are charged a “fine”. Heard strange stories there, folks got apparently somewhat agitated.
Has’nt happened to me, can’t therefore give more details; if in doubt, rather stop and check with the guy on the radio rather then ploughing thru ;-)
I’ve heard and read from these kind of stories as well. It didn’t happen to me either, instead, AFIS and other staff on-site was extremely friendly. And I can confirm 23R/05L was a good runway, at least back in 2018. See also one of my two video from Letnany (including ATC):

Landing and parking fees were high enough btw., even within official opening hours, but still for a European capitol absolutely acceptable.
Last Edited by Frans at 26 Jan 21:58
Switzerland

At LKLT it can happen that RWY 05L/23R is closed when a concert is taking place at Letnany Expo, after long lasting rains or maintenance (grass cutting) however it’s in NOTAM. If it’s not the case and the other one is in use you can always ask the controller if 05L/23R is possible.

We had recent incident with foreign airplane landing and taking off from the parallel taxiway…

Some of the cones are present (especially at the northern part of the taxiway) because of me 😅 As per airport map I was still using the defined area to taxi and turn however the soil is too soft there so I got stuck and had to be towed away. Airport management reviewed and week later the cones were installed and still present 😊

I prefer to double check the airspace use in AisView before my flight especially during weekdays or when know military exercise is taking place, had a two occasions where SkyDemon was not showing the same as AisView and I’ve double checked on the frequency and AisView information was up to date. Besides that no issues with SkyDemon when flying in CZ – I know some pilots got confused with the TRA GAs but you’ve read the AIP so you will be fine.

Ani
LKLT, Czech Republic
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message