Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Current reports & tips for VFR flying in Morocco?

We are planning a VFR tour in Morocco during March 2023 with a diesel / Jet A1-powered C172 (provided weather is ok and the ferry of the plane worked out).

To start preparing the trip, I have summarized my notes below, based on information from EuroGA-threads (so some quotes below may sound familiar to some of you) and other sources, and am wondering if there is anything you would add or change? A fellow pilot (thank you Brahim!) was already kind enough to share his thoughts, however maybe there is some additional useful input available…?

Links

• Morocco AIP
    __ Content mostly available in English too, but AIP GEN 1.7 ‘Differences from ICAO Standards’ seems to be in French only → Try Google translator…
  • Morocco CAA
  • Weather: Use Windy

Sources:

Do’s & Don’ts, general stuff

• Have EUR cash in small notes for fuel (change is considered as tip) / credit cards accepted for fees
  • When exchanging cash to Dirham keep the copy of the exchange receipt
  • VFR routing only along official, predefined routes
  • Exercise pronunciation of reporting points 🙂, “they may also ask to report as distance/radial to some VOR”
  • File flight plans for every flight in person at the C-office or tower; forget filing via Skydemon & co.
  • Filing the FP and especially refueling can last forever; factor in enough time
  • Several reports recommend wearing a pilot shirt & epaulets… (??)
  • Controllers speak good english with clean ICAO radio communication
  • Staff at C-office usually very helpful
  • Prepare a “General Declaration” and print some as draft for each flight to save some time (content?, one report says it is not required anymore?)
    __ AIP GEN 1.2-1 (scheduled traffic!): “ Airlines will have to mention on the general declaration all mention relating to the number of passengers embarked or in transit).“
  • Some altitudes / heights are shown in the VFR chart in meters, some in feet!
  • Handling: “Unless you’re fluent in French, a handler is going to make your life so much easier.”……. $$$? When using handling, aim for Swissport when available (?).
  • “You don’t need a flying permit for anything north of Agadir, for the south of Morocco it needs a flying permit (Western Sahara). I suggest you get one before you arrive as takes a bit of time to process at the CAA”
    __ No details found in AIP
    __ Check https://airtrafficrightsauthorization.aviationcivile.gov.ma/ linked from the Morocco CAA…?
  • “If the royal family happens to travel on that day in the area you want to cross, they may not let you fly at all”
  • Reportedly no VFR Night allowed
    __ AIP ENR 1.2-2: “Night VFR flight To fly according to the night visual flight, an aircraft shall respect the provisions which may be set by instruction of the minister in charge of civil aviation. This instruction may fix meteorological conditions superior to those of paragraphs 1 and 2.” §1 = VMC rules, §2 = Special VFR flight

Thoughts

• Perhaps fly to Gibraltar, too?
  • Maybe get a PLB

“Must-go” places:

• GMMZ Ouarzazate
    __ Scenery described as stunning, a “bit of no man’s land”
    __ No PIREP in Skydemon
    __ “Don’t land south of Ouarzazate, it’s not very safe.”
  • GMFK Errachidia
    __ Scenery described as stunning, a “bit of no man’s land”
    __ No PIREP in Skydemon
    __ Fuel ?
    __ “If you want to fly to the sand dunes south of Errachidia (Erg Shebi), then you have to coordinate that with Errachidia tower the day before. It’s a sensitive border area, and the Errachidia controller needs to get permission from the Army (or whoever, some higher-up) for that. No big deal, but needs to be done the day before the flight.”
  • ?

Reportedly nice places to go:

• GMFF Fes Saiss
    __ PIREP in Skydemon positive (2019)
    __ Report suggests contacting local aero club for help to avoid handling (~280€)
    __ “Do NOT overfly any royal palaces (Fes, Marrakesh)”
  • GMMT Casablanca Tit Mellil
    __ 2 PIREP in SD (2018, 2022), nice airport
    __ No mandatory handling, reportedly more GA friendly than GMMN Casablanca Mohammed V International Airport
    __ Jet fuel available?
  • GMME Rabat
    __ One PIREP in SD from 2019 on fees (ok), but no details
    __ “There is always something with the Royals there”
  • GMMH Dakhla
    __ “Nice sea and water sports stop”
    __ One PIREP in SD, nice airport
    __ Watch weather – coastal fog?
  • GMML Laayoune
    __ No PIREP in SD
  • GMTT Tangier
    __ PIREPs in SD, easy airport
  • GMMI Essaouira
    __ PIREPs in SD, easy airport
  • ?

Places to avoid:

• GMMX Marrakech (?)
    __ “No handling required, but then it’s a pain in the a**” – hence consider handling?
    __ “It’s the only complicated airport with GMMN (Casablanca). All other airports you can go without handling.”
    __ “Do NOT overfly any royal palaces (Fes, Marrakesh)”
  • GMMN Casablanca Mohammed V International Airport
    __ Mandatory handling which is quite expensive, instead fly to GMMT Casablanca Tit Mellil Airport
  • ?
Last Edited by Marcel at 11 Jan 11:06
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

You may want to add this exotic trip: R44 as far as Errachidia (GMFK)

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/11891-trip-report-spain-and-morocco?page=1

Apparently, helicopters needs permits even when not landing off airfield …

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Jan 10:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I went through it, it is indeed an interesting report (included in my list of sources). Flying a helicopter would be nice too :-)

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Thank you @Niner_Mike!

Hi! I am planning a trip to GMFK next week too. There are multiple reports of AVGAS being available (including above as well as a recent SkyDemon report from last month).

AIP (from Apr 2020) however only lists JET A1 as available. Does someone have some insight as to current AVGAS availability at GMFK ?

BTW, beware reduced op hrs during Ramadan

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

AIP (from Apr 2020) however only lists JET A1 as available

Spoke to them and they said Avgas100LL available but only in barrels for handpumping. Nobody knows why it is not published…always worth checking before going. I think I’ll carry some extra onboard just in case!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio. I would advise Under no circumstances have Avgas inside your plane.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

I was thinking of taking 100L of extra Avgas in aircraft in Morocco but with 45C OAT outside I decided to skip

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Admittedly I’m short some feedback from my trip to Morocco.

@Antonio

Does someone have some insight as to current AVGAS availability at GMFK ?

AVGAS was indeed available and hand-pumped from a barrel. No issues there and a friendly bunch of people.

As you plan to fly to that area, just for the sake of completeness the same is valid for GMMZ Ouarzazate while GMAZ Zagora has no fuel at all.
If GMAZ is on your trip list too, make sure to ask staff at GMFK or GMMZ to check if the controller at GMAZ is there – opening times are more theoretical as they just have a couple of flights per week…

Just a friendly reminder: fuel has to be paid in cash. Either in EUR (the exchange rate was „ok“ and didn’t change the needle notably) or in local currency, but then you have to show a bill confirming you got the cash from „official sources“. When you plan to pull out cash from an ATM (again: collect the bill or the money is basically worthless) be prepared to get only 3000 MAD (~300 EUR) per transaction.

Enjoy!

Best,

Marcel

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message