Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY 19-22 April 2023

The main “fiasco” was not that of the slots, but that of the terrible ground “handling” and delays

Interesting… I must have missed that.

The hassle I did get was in 2019 when the minibus driver asked where we came from, and upon getting a “UK” reply, he said (incorrectly) “you left the EU” (with an unspoken “you bunch of sh*ts”) and dumped us at the end of a huge queue of Russians having their visas checked Then we had to get a bus to the show.

So, next time, 2022, I replied “Croatia”, which was truthful but I would have said the same if not because he had no way of knowing, and it worked nicely, delivered straight to the show, even though the minibus driver was wrong because I/we still needed Immigration

I arrived on a Friday and departed Sunday; maybe that was a factor? No slots on the Sunday, and little traffic. Quite enjoyed chasing around the guy nicking the EuroGA leaflets; at one point I must have been 100m behind him

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looking at the online aviation offerings, goods and information, it is surprising that a fair like this survives at all… I’m still amazed at the willingness of people to pay (€32, or 1/2+ hour fuel with my steed ) to be able to spend money.

Dan, think twice. The rumor goes that Peter will charge 32 euros to those who wish to join the dinner but have not arrived by GA. But there would be a discount if you catch the fellow (M/F/LTGBTI+) who nicks the leaflets.

Again, people may want to look at alternative fields. The ones listed on the Aero site are VFR, but Memmingen EDJA is IFR, unless Ryanair sneakily flies VFR there. EDJA has many car rental options, train from town is also possible although a bit of a detour.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Unfortunately, the reality of “modern marketing” is that

• printed media is pretty dead; the printed mags survive only because companies spend their budgets and have no data on the effectiveness
  • the internet is too diffuse; if you are not on page 1 of google you don’t exist, and anyway you get little or no potential customer input
  • few people phone you up
  • stuff like FB, Instagram, Linkedin, etc works for only a few people

and that leaves … exhibitions. And that business has exploded, from say 3 a year to 20. Aero EDNY is unusual in that it dominates the sector, so everybody has to be there.

Administrator

aart wrote:

But there would be a discount if you catch the fellow (M/F/LTGBTI+) who nicks the leaflets.

You’re right, that may be a good reason to come. Assuming I catch the evil villain, I wonder what punishment or chastisement would be suitable?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Get a photo

I think he will be readily recognisable.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I think he will be readily recognisable.

Sounds like you know who it is but lack proof…do tell!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

As with most criminal activity, like murders, it is usually done by someone that the murdered knew. That information I gleamed by watching a lot of CSI and Columbo shows. So I think the perp is probably a former member of EuroGa. Someone who thinks they have been wronged and blame Peter for their perceived slight.

Its comical but at the same time its not.

KHTO, LHTL

Does arrival on the first day or days require booking a landing slot?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Jan 18:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Does arrival on the first day or days require booking a landing slot?

If I recall correctly, the landing slots start the first day the show is open to the public. I landed the day before, and didn’t need a slot. I booked the first slot for departure two days later and left very early, just after the airport opened. Thankfully there was no fog. I think I was the 3rd movement of the day.

There would have been no problem departing without a slot that day at that time – they never asked me for any slot information, but perhaps they had a list with tail numbers and slot info. It was very calm leaving, and one of my most memorable flights – smooth as silk, no traffic, and ATC that was extremely accommodating. My only problem was I arrived home an hour before any airports in my neighborhood were open, so I was “forced” to do a quick alpine flight.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

In the past you purchased arrival and departure slots. None were needed on the Sunday because the show ended then.

You must remember to arrange the ETA to be within the slot you bought. When you actually arrive, doesn’t matter (and can’t anyway in GA because aircaft perf varies so much, and yes I know somebody will now say they find the AR model to be totally exact ) but they will cancel your FP if you get this wrong. And they do the SUSP just before you depart, when you don’t have time to fix it – this is a “special punishment” for those who dared to disobey

With the AR, you cannot vary the ETA other than by varying the EOBT, and most airports won’t let you depart too far away from that. So I use AR to generate the route and then use EuroFPL to actually file it, and EuroFPL allows the ETA to be directly entered. Eurocontrol’s leeway on the flight time is huge. I have posted all this before.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message