Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prague & Erlangen - IFR EURO TOUR (and is an IR worth doing?)

For many years I’ve wanted to join Erlangen Bergweich, which is one of the oldest festivals in Germany. Like Oktoberfest with better weather. With the previous two years cancelled due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, it was time to organise the planning of this trip. Many months were spent waiting on the local authorities and the Bavarian Government to allow the event to take place.

Despite a relatively high number of visitors, it is not commonly known by tourists, or people living outside Bavaria. This was a much-needed trip and would be flown entirely IFR, but we had a last-minute addition to ensure this trip was memorable.

Despite the challenges of the first flight, with en route weather, the rest of the trip was uneventful and all flights took place as planned with no real weather issues. Despite some convection forecasts, none of this impacted us majorly. It was great to see that we finally reached the Berg, after many years wishing to visit and the emotions of completing such a big trip on the back of the trip to Spain.

Much experience was developed on this trip and would be the catalyst for developing my Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and eventually a re-write of the Normal checklist to enhance my flying skills.

Read the blog: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/prague-erlangen/

Watch the VLOG:

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Nice to see you enjoying your IR. That’s what it is for!

Nice pic of Prague.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Nice to see you enjoying your IR. That’s what it is for!

Nice pic of Prague.

It was a great trip indeed. Thanks for commenting Peter.

P.s. I am going to sort out PDF versions for the website soon.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Here’s the challenging sector to Prague. Navigating TSRA enroute then ending up in a front on the Czech Border for 45 minutes, with icing problems and embedded TCU.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 29 Dec 08:13
EGSG, United Kingdom

A spontaneous flight, flown entirely under IFR conditions to Germany for the beer fest. Warm summer conditions give lots of turbulence as we approach Airport Nürnberg

EGSG, United Kingdom

Thank you Robbie for taking the time to make those videos.

I notice that you need a turbo and oxygen to get the altitude flexibility (FL80 to FL150 or higher) that make those trips possible, even in summer. I remember one forumite even took a DA40 TDI to FL200.

My impression is without those (let’s say in a 172 with a family onboard, FL80-FL110 max), your dispatch rate would be much lower, and an IR much less useful.

Would you agree ?

LFOU, France

Hi,

Thanks for the message. They are time consuming, but they are starting to roll out now.

The DA40 TDI seems to be quite comfortable up to FL110, it did seem to struggle above FL120 on the Prague sector to climb to FL150. We went from VS +400/500fpm to about 200fpm without struggle/stall warn. But these were in strong heating and summer conditions. Up to FL150 on the SG-LKPR sector it took 30 minutes to get to FL150 and that was with the level off at 3000ft due to City Arrivals for 2.5 minutes or so.

Out of Prague to Germany with again MTOW, it seemed respectable – 17 minutes 30 seconds or so.

For interest the Spain sector with full fuel took 23 minutes to FL130.

I’d definitely say without altitude (Which you require oxygen) – makes journeys a lot less doable. In fact, I’d be scared if I didn’t have oxygen on these sectors you are watching. Being up high lets you see far ahead to judge the height of any cells.

Jujupilote wrote:

Thank you Robbie for taking the time to make those videos.

I notice that you need a turbo and oxygen to get the altitude flexibility (FL80 to FL150 or higher) that make those trips possible, even in summer. I remember one forumite even took a DA40 TDI to FL200.

My impression is without those (let’s say in a 172 with a family onboard, FL80-FL110 max), your dispatch rate would be much lower, and an IR much less useful.

Would you agree ?

EGSG, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

I fly a TB10 all over Europe, mostly IFR, with longer trips typically at FL100/110 but sometimes lower if it makes sense (usually due to wind). I rarely have to cancel a flight, though I may sometimes use an alternate if I planned a VFR-only field. I know some have said you need altitude to do reliable IFR touring in Europe, but I just don’t have that experience at all. I pick a place I want to go, use Autorouter to get a fairly reasonable route, then negotiate more or less a direct route in the air if needed. The exception is crossing the Alps, where altitude is required if you want to cross IFR. Other than that, in my experience the issue is primarily icing in winter.

EHRD, Netherlands

I know some have said you need altitude to do reliable IFR touring in Europe, but I just don’t have that experience at all

FL100-FL120 should do the job everywhere in Europe

I know pilots who will argue they need +FL160 turbo/oxygen IFR in Alps, I only see them flying that in CAVOK with 1040hp systems

I have crossed Alps in cloudy days (day & night), no oxygen & turbo in lower bands but to file meagninful IFR flight plan you need +FL160

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Jan 17:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

FL100-FL120 should do the job everywhere in Europe

Not really.

I know pilots who will argue they need +FL160 turbo/oxygen IFR in Alps, I only see them flying that in CAVOK with 1040hp systems

1040HP?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message