Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mini trip into Spain

aart wrote:

If you want I can check, but maybe @antonio knows more

Please don’t check at this point. But, thank you very much for the price list. The landing fees seem very reasonable at Son Bonet, and parking at E22 per day outside of peak summer is fine. We are going to pop into SB in the coming weeks, just to get a quick sense for the airport.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

But, there is some possibility of a deal for a minimum one month of stationing for a few hundred euros, but this requires a contract, and I don’t know what that involves. If you want I can check, but maybe @antonio knows more?

For parking 1.5-2.7 tons at LESB you have two options:
a) pay the daily extorsion fee of 67 eur in JUL+AUG , or 27 eur other months
b) pay the full month during the first five days of the month (281 eur) , or get a 40% discount on that if you have a long-term contract with the airport. Both options can be arranged with the airport authority but bureaucracy and language barriers do not make it easy…they kind of direct you to their easy option a)

Hangarage is in general not available. It may be possible by prior arrangement with one of the existing tenants, including myself, but that is usually dependant on a temporary vacancy being available. PM me if required, I may be able to help. I can also help with the monthly fee, in exchange for a beer over some airplane stories. The beer is optional, the stories are not.

Beware of restricted LESB operating hours and local radio frequencies.

Last Edited by Antonio at 01 Nov 23:21
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I would think that it is like in Italy. On those super-small fields, there is virtually no traffic. So, keep a good lookout in the immediate vicinity of the airfield, and make a few short attention-getter calls in English. Just make sure you get the name of the airfield spelled correctly and that you have the correct frequency for the airfield.

Yes, my experience in Spain as well. At many of the small fields we’ve been to in Spain there was absolutely no other traffic for hours, so this would not have been a problem. OTOH unless you depart immediately after landing, you’ll need the local language after landing anyway.

One might also want to enquire about runway condition, parking, fuel and transport possibilties. This can be difficult, as the people owning or running these airfields sometimes don’t speak English properly.

This and what I wrote above stopped me from flying into many more interesting places in Italy so far. One day I’ll try 😀

Edit: aart, thanks for the report 🙂

Last Edited by terbang at 01 Nov 20:39
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

No hangarage available.

Fees, see para 2.3.2.1 of this:

https://www.aena.es/doc/detalleprensa/guiadetarifasenero2022ed2.pdf

Note you would be scr… ehm ‘taken advantage of’ during July and August at Son Bonet. Of course AENA would argue otherwise, like ‘very significant discount outside of July and August’ Prices are excluding 21% VAT.

But, there is some possibility of a deal for a minimum one month of stationing for a few hundred euros, but this requires a contract, and I don’t know what that involves. If you want I can check, but maybe @antonio knows more?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

None of the strips are suitable for your aircraft I’m afraid.

If I was going to start spending longer periods of time on Mallorca (ie , a month at a time), do you know if it is possible to get hangarage at Son Bonet and if parking is really expensive?

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

some private fields that do not show up on any chart that are let’s say ‘semi-legal’

And I foresee another visit by YLL to your island during this Winter

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I would think that it is like in Italy. On those super-small fields, there is virtually no traffic. So, keep a good lookout in the immediate vicinity of the airfield, and make a few short attention-getter calls in English. Just make sure you get the name of the airfield spelled correctly and that you have the correct frequency for the airfield.

What is sometimes difficult is the communication before going. After all, these fields are all private property, and hence are PPR, formally speaking. One might also want to enquire about runway condition, parking, fuel and transport possibilties. This can be difficult, as the people owning or running these airfields sometimes don’t speak English properly.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

We’ve talked about non-AENA fields various times here, and in particular @terbang has provided inspiring reports. I find that the combination of Skydemon and aterriza.org is quite useful for planning. Do call in advance especially to smaller fields, this way you can find out if English is a problem and also if they allow anything heavier than a ULM. It’s not always clear, better check with the operator.

Would any of this be accessible to a non-Spanish speaker? Sorry if it’s a silly question!

It really varies. At the larger non-AENA fields like Requena LERE, Castellon LECN, Andorra LESU, La Cerdanya LECD, Garray LEGY and there are many more, English is no problem. At the smaller, mostly ULM fields, I would say that in most cases english is not well understood, A/A comms, if any traffic to begin with.

Last Edited by aart at 01 Nov 08:58

None of the strips are suitable for your aircraft I’m afraid

Don’t tell him that, he will come with SUPER STOL PA18 and leave STOL PA46 in the hangar

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Nov 08:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message