Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mini trip into Spain

Hey Aart.

Firstly, thanks for the trip report. Apart from a couple of big Aena airports (Ibiza, Malaga, Valladolid), Spanish aviation is a complete mystery to me. So your report is inspiring.

I am curious about Mallorca. I have read about Son Bonet and the main airport of course, but I keep finding other little strips on Google Maps. Firstly I found Aerodrom de Binissalem, then Escuelo Vuelo es Cruce. The looking at your flight route on your post above I realise you seem to be based at yet another strip there – Son Alberti.

How many airstrips are there on Mallorca??

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

That is what we call España profunda (deep Spain) . It is severely underpopulated with the youngsters migrating to cities and mostly the elderly remaining. A problem that some initiatives are aiming to solve.

@aart thanks for raising awareness and discovering it for us!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

How many airstrips are there on Mallorca??

Apart from Benissalem (LEIS) and Vilafranca, ‘es cruce’ (LEPT), the only other airstrip is Son Alberti, where I am based. We are working on getting an OACI code. SA has a 800m rwy, a little stoney and I would not recommend flying there with a powerful SEP or SET. Location, just east of MJV VOR:

None of the strips are suitable for your aircraft I’m afraid.

There are more little strips which show up on various aeronautical charts, but these are either defunct or strictly private. And there are some private fields that do not show up on any chart that are let’s say ‘semi-legal’

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

None of the strips are suitable for your aircraft I’m afraid

Don’t tell him that, he will come with SUPER STOL PA18 and leave STOL PA46 in the hangar

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Nov 08:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Would any of this be accessible to a non-Spanish speaker? Sorry if it’s a silly question!

It really varies. At the larger non-AENA fields like Requena LERE, Castellon LECN, Andorra LESU, La Cerdanya LECD, Garray LEGY and there are many more, English is no problem. At the smaller, mostly ULM fields, I would say that in most cases english is not well understood, A/A comms, if any traffic to begin with.

Last Edited by aart at 01 Nov 08:58

We’ve talked about non-AENA fields various times here, and in particular @terbang has provided inspiring reports. I find that the combination of Skydemon and aterriza.org is quite useful for planning. Do call in advance especially to smaller fields, this way you can find out if English is a problem and also if they allow anything heavier than a ULM. It’s not always clear, better check with the operator.

I would think that it is like in Italy. On those super-small fields, there is virtually no traffic. So, keep a good lookout in the immediate vicinity of the airfield, and make a few short attention-getter calls in English. Just make sure you get the name of the airfield spelled correctly and that you have the correct frequency for the airfield.

What is sometimes difficult is the communication before going. After all, these fields are all private property, and hence are PPR, formally speaking. One might also want to enquire about runway condition, parking, fuel and transport possibilties. This can be difficult, as the people owning or running these airfields sometimes don’t speak English properly.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

some private fields that do not show up on any chart that are let’s say ‘semi-legal’

And I foresee another visit by YLL to your island during this Winter

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

aart wrote:

None of the strips are suitable for your aircraft I’m afraid.

If I was going to start spending longer periods of time on Mallorca (ie , a month at a time), do you know if it is possible to get hangarage at Son Bonet and if parking is really expensive?

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

No hangarage available.

Fees, see para 2.3.2.1 of this:

https://www.aena.es/doc/detalleprensa/guiadetarifasenero2022ed2.pdf

Note you would be scr… ehm ‘taken advantage of’ during July and August at Son Bonet. Of course AENA would argue otherwise, like ‘very significant discount outside of July and August’ Prices are excluding 21% VAT.

But, there is some possibility of a deal for a minimum one month of stationing for a few hundred euros, but this requires a contract, and I don’t know what that involves. If you want I can check, but maybe @antonio knows more?

Sign in to add your message