Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EDDH - Hamburg

Hi All,

Has anyone done EDDH – Hamburg recently? I am looking at Hamburg or Hannover for a short weekend on 11th-13th if the weather isn’t too icy/risky. Will be IFR for convenience.

Any recommendations on locations to stay for good food and maybe a cheeky night out ;)

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

EDDH is fine but they have quite high parking charges. Better check but I remember there is some complicated formula which results in 50 Euro per day for a 2t plane.
Hannover EDDV is GA friendly, probably much cheaper than EDDH but I would say for a tourist Hamburg offers a little more.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Hi @Sebastian_G,

Where is the document located that specifies the charge, and how do you avoid said complicated charge?

https://www.hamburg-airport.de/en/general-terms-and-conditions-gtc—3188

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 18 Oct 08:52
EGSG, United Kingdom

If the weather turns out to be relatively VFR and easy IFR – would anyone consider this for a EuorGA meetup in Nov?

Dates 11th-13th Nov.

@Peter?

EGSG, United Kingdom

Feel free to propose a fly-in. Anyone can do it

If there is enough interest I can do an email mailing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Pilotrobbie

Have you decided on Hamburg or Hannover yet?

As mentioned by SebastianG, Hamburg is probably the more interesting place to visit, while Hannover is more convenient for GA.

A Hamburg fly-in would probably be the most realistic EuroGA fly-in for me to attend for years. For Hannover I could get there by car, it is even closer to me than my homebase :)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Being based now in greater Hamburg area I would advise against EDDH, as parking space can be rather pricey (approx. 0,50 Euro per 15 Minutes was my parking ticket in front of the – solala – restaurant last time) and GA apron is less well located for a trip into town. Imho, Hamburg Town is in need of locals to guide you to nice spots, without you’ll miss the best parts the indigenous tend to hide from foreigners.
Greater Hamburg Area does have some nice alternatives, Rendsburg EDXR or Itzehoe EDHF (now reopened after they have done the 3,412’ runway full tarmac) both with unpublished but in principal existing IFR procedures, or Uetersen EDHE on VFR (new restaurant run by the guy doing Kiel EDHK and Rendsburg already).

Hannover is very GA friendly, but the town is less nice tourist-wise. Big advantage you can take the tram to city center for a small fee.
Alternative VFR, possibly after cloud breaking EDDV, can indeed be MedEvoks Hildesheim EDVM and the local restaurant run by a local welfare organization employing partly the disabled can need any support they get. EDVM old town center is quite nice.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 21 Oct 16:19
Germany

Anyone is free to organise a EuroGA meetup

Next one is in Spain, Nov 2022. Then we will probably do a fly to ski over the winter. Then we normally do Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY and that one has normally served as the “German meetup”; quite good because “everybody” goes there. Otherwise we have a May fly-in, so maybe that one? I will leave it to others to do these…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Feel free to propose a fly-in. Anyone can do it

If there is enough interest I can do an email mailing.

MedEwok wrote:

@Pilotrobbie

Have you decided on Hamburg or Hannover yet?

As mentioned by SebastianG, Hamburg is probably the more interesting place to visit, while Hannover is more convenient for GA.

A Hamburg fly-in would probably be the most realistic EuroGA fly-in for me to attend for years. For Hannover I could get there by car, it is even closer to me than my homebase :)

I am going to wait till at least the weather forecast is as solid as forecast. But if anyone interested wants to earmark 11th-13th November then that would be grand. At least there’s the model place, lots of food/drink places.

5th-19th

Relatively mild and changeable at first, with a mix of showers and spells of rain interspersed with some sunny spells. The focus of rainfall is most likely to be over the northwest with a risk of stronger winds. Drier conditions are expected towards the southeast. There is an increasing chance of a prolonged period of settled weather developing during the second week of November, likely bringing some chilly nights with mist, fog and frost in places.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC+1) on Fri 21 Oct 2022

MichaLSA wrote:

Being based now in greater Hamburg area I would advise against EDDH, as parking space can be rather pricey (approx. 0,50 Euro per 15 Minutes was my parking ticket in front of the – solala – restaurant last time) and GA apron is less well located for a trip into town. Imho, Hamburg Town is in need of locals to guide you to nice spots, without you’ll miss the best parts the indigenous tend to hide from foreigners.
Greater Hamburg Area does have some nice alternatives, Rendsburg EDXR or Itzehoe EDHF (now reopened after they have done the 3,412’ runway full tarmac) both with unpublished but in principal existing IFR procedures, or Uetersen EDHE on VFR (new restaurant run by the guy doing Kiel EDHK and Rendsburg already).

I guess if anyone wants to fly to EDDH or stop in Schengen then visit one of the Greater Hamburg area airfields then taxi into town. As you say there’s lots to do in Hamburg and would make a good meet up.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 21 Oct 20:01
EGSG, United Kingdom

Erlangen Bergweich falls in May as Easter is in April.

I’ve already booked the airplane to do Slovakia then back via Nurnberg. So maybe I’ll start a discussion for that, as this years’ was fun.

https://www.erlangen.info/bergkirchweih_erlangen/

Peter wrote:

Anyone is free to organise a EuroGA meetup

Next one is in Spain, Nov 2022. Then we will probably do a fly to ski over the winter. Then we normally do Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY and that one has normally served as the “German meetup”; quite good because “everybody” goes there. Otherwise we have a May fly-in, so maybe that one? I will leave it to others to do these…

EGSG, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message